North Dublin Beach

Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi all, my first post on here in a long time, haven’t really had the time to get out fishing and a few health issues make it tough for me to walk very far, and then came the lockdown. So I’ve been waiting on the right evening to put a bend in the lure rod. Low tide was about 7pm yesterday and the breeze expected to die down a bit as the light was fading, I arrive at the mark at 7.30pm to look for a few features that might hold a fish on the rising tide. Started fishing about 8.15pm, casting an Ima Skimmer, to the rocks and ledges I had earlier identified. Looked like perfect conditions to use the Skimmer, but no interest from the fish. Cycled through the usual Bass lures to no avail, then I seen a rash of pin fry and a few promising swirls just as the last light was fading, switched up to the smallest lure I had in the box, a shallow diving Rapala x rap ghost. Tried a few different retrieves and the lure got smashed on the 4th cast. A nice 45cm Bass, a fish in great condition that fought well and safely returned to grow bigger for the next fight. Nice to finally get out fishing, I’m very limited with the 5k restriction and can’t make my favourite marks. So really pleased to find a new mark and have the first Bass of the year. I really have to try for the Bass on the fly rod this year, any suggestions for which patterns, I’m already thinking an olive backed pin fry :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: North Dublin Beach

Mon May 25, 2020 2:04 pm

wow that's a nice fish! congrats!

Mon May 25, 2020 2:46 pm

Lovely catch

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm

Lovely fish, well done!

Wed May 27, 2020 1:05 pm

Hey Darren
Lovely fish. As for flies, Clouser minnows, surf candies,flat wings and deceivers would be your go to patterns. Chartreuse over white, yellow over white and olive over a ghost grey, I personally like.

Wed May 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Gurglers are great in rough ground too for fly

Wed May 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Super result for 1st time out in a long time! Hoping ya get out and catch many more!

Thu May 28, 2020 4:39 pm

LennyH wrote:Hey Darren
Lovely fish. As for flies, Clouser minnows, surf candies,flat wings and deceivers would be your go to patterns. Chartreuse over white, yellow over white and olive over a ghost grey, I personally like.

Thanks Lenny, much appreciated, I’ll try them out for sure, just waiting on some leaders to arrive in the post, and I’ll have a root through my flies and see if I have something close enough. May tie up something for the occasion :)

Thu May 28, 2020 4:46 pm

patk wrote:Gurglers are great in rough ground too for fly
thanks Pat, will give it a go, have a spot in mind where there’s some rough enough ground, just waiting on the right conditions to come up, I’m sure I have shrimp gurgler that might work.