High Rock Malahide Night Session 25.05.2020

Mon May 25, 2020 3:30 am

When: 25/05/2020
Where: High Rock Pier Malahide
Duration: 22:30-02:30
High Water: 01:46
Equipment: 12ft beachcaster & 11ft bass rod - 2/0 two hook flapper rigs with beads/attractors & 4oz bucket leads. Bite detection bell/lightss.
Bait: mackerel and squid.
Conditions: Warm with a slight SW breeze.
Result: 4 dogfish

Decided to give high rock a go on baits at night see what might turn up, and with 3 minutes of the first rod being cast, while I was setting up my second rod, the bells start ringing, fish on, nice little dogfish, he went back. After finally getting both rods out I had another dogfish within minutes on the second rod, this one was a good size, I want to see what dogfish taste like so I decided to keep this one. I removed the head and gutted it and to my surprise it was still moving about in the bag for a good hour after that. The next 2 dogs were also of good size but they went back as 1 is plenty for the table. Pretty happy about the result here as it's nice to not blank. I'm also learning a lot about bite detection and using the drag properly! I'll probably try this mark again and bring different baits next time, maybe there might be some bass or smooth hounds knocking about :D

Re: High Rock Malahide Night Session 25.05.2020

Mon May 25, 2020 3:34 am

few pics 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 am

Let us know how you got on with eating/cooking it have never tried it!!

Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 am

Dogfish tastes really nice, IMHO, however there is a gelatinous layer just under the scales that is a bugger to get off - either skin the fish before cooking (definitely recommended) or let it cool after cooking and take it off then, serving it cold in a salad.

Technically the 'rock salmon' sold in Burdocks et al is spurdog - or so I am told - but dogfish tastes just as good. Honest!

Mon May 25, 2020 11:10 am

Yep dogfish tastes really good! Just a bit tough to skin definitely worth the effort though

Mon May 25, 2020 9:49 pm

Bring crab and High Rock would produce good smoothie fishing. I've been told there are some rays to be had but not caught them myself there yet.

Tue May 26, 2020 3:04 am

Dave F wrote:Bring crab and High Rock would produce good smoothie fishing. I've been told there are some rays to be had but not caught them myself there yet.

Actually caught 3 small smoothies tonight at high rock to ragworm tipped with squid, report incoming :D

Tue May 26, 2020 4:24 pm

So I gutted the dogfish and removed the head at the pier, brought it home and froze it straight away, took it out this morning to thaw and this afternoon I was able to peel the skin easy enough. Made a few nice little fingers dipped in flour, egg and then golden breadcrumbs and fried in olive oil. Absolutely delish! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Looks gorgeous! I definitely would try a few bites

Sun May 31, 2020 6:42 pm

Pour clean it out and then just cover it in boiling water. When the boiling water is cool enough, lift it out and the fish is cooked through and skin scrapes off very easily with a knife. Cut it in half, batter it and hey presto, rock salmon. Exactly the same with ray wings.