Howth East Pier 14.05.2020

Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 pm

When: 14/05/2020
Where: Very end of the east pier off the rocks below the small lighthouse casting towards Irelands Eye.
Duration: 15:30-18:30
High Water: 17:30
Equipment: 9ft Spinning rod with 29lb braid, short 50lb clear amnesia leader. Toby's, german sprat, sidewinder bloodhead, sidewinder shad.
Result: Blank

Testing out my new braid line on the spinning rod down Howth east pier today, mostly using a green/gold toby spinner, getting real good distance with the braid, maybe 100-120 yards! Unfortunately there were no bites but I did see shoals of sprat knocking about :D

Re: Howth East Pier 14.05.2020

Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 pm

I’ve found spinning the just before the “dogs leg” on the east pier a bit better than the lighthouse end, never taken anything huge off it though, some small pollock and Mac’s when around.

Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Greendag wrote:I’ve found spinning the just before the “dogs leg” on the east pier a bit better than the lighthouse end, never taken anything huge off it though, some small pollock and Mac’s when around.

Ah ok, I'd probably be better off going to the split rock then eh? I'm after a pollock big enough to eat, is Howth the most likely place to catch one from the shore on the east coast?

Fri May 15, 2020 8:59 am

Hi Gonzo

Split rock : try casting around 1-2 o'clock if facing directly 'north' off the east side of the split. The pollack lie up on a reef there. Previously took them on baits - mack strip - nothing huge but "big enough to eat". Also excellent wrasse under the stacks at about 4-5 o'clock but you will need ragworm and a westerly wind to get there! Rough ground on both so expect tackle losses.

HTH