Sutton Golf Club 07.05.2020

Thu May 07, 2020 11:30 pm

When: 07/05/2020
Where: Back of Sutton Golf Club casting into the channel
Duration: 20:30-23:00
High Water: 00:40
Bait: Ragworm tipped with thin mackerel strips
Result: Blank

Decided to try here for some flounder, I arrived at the same time as another angler and his son, after an hour fishing they started packing up and came over to ask if I was getting any bites, they were heading off as they had caught a huge flounder on some peeler crab, they were really sound and actually gave me some peeler crab to try, I fished for another 2 hours after they left with no bites and no fish but at least I know that it's probably down to my inexperience and not a lack of fish so I will crack on and keep trying to improve :D
Last edited by Gonzo on Fri May 08, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sutton Golf Club 07.05.2020

Thu May 07, 2020 11:30 pm

Gonzo wrote:When: 07/05/2020
Where: Back of Sutton Golf Club casting into the channel
Duration: 20:30-23:00
High Water: 00:40
Bait: Ragworm tipped with thin mackerel strips
Result: Blank

Decided to try here for some flounder, I arrived at the same time as another angler and his son, after an hour fishing they started packing up and came over to ask if I was getting any bites, they were heading off as they had caught a huge flounder on some peeler crab, they were really sound and actually gave me some peeler crab to try, I fished for another 2 hours after they left with no bites and no fish but at least I know that it's probably down to my inexperience and not a lack of fish so I will crack on and keep trying to improve :D

Re: Sutton Golf Club 07.05.2020

Fri May 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi Gonzo

Flounder move in and out with the tides and will often hug one side of the channel on the way in and the other on the way out. Timing is also important, they can often move very early and leave quite late... or not! It is very location specific - I used to find the entrance to the back strand in Tramore and found it was the third hour of the ebb, no more than 30 metres out, in the weed, with crab that found the fish. Just that one hour. Just that place. And peeler was essential. Suspect you will find similar with Sutton... flounders eh!

BTW we used to dig ragworm the size of snakes (seriously one was over 12 inches long, enough for half a dozen big baits) further inland at an old sewage pipe (ugh!) in Baydoyle. This has since been removed (thank god) but if you can't get peelers, ragworm might work...

HTH

Kieran