Telegraph Pole Howth 04.05.2020

Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 am

When: 04/05/2020
Where: Off the rocks below the telegraph pole on the Howth Cliff Trail.
Duration: 18:30-20:45
High Water: 22:21
Lures: Powerbait Worms, Sidewinder Bloodhead, Orange Shad
Result: Blank

Went down to the telegraph pole today to try and catch some pollock. Mostly used a powerbait worm on a weedless offset hook with 2ft trace to a 50g bullet lead on my main line, let sink to bottom and switched it up every few seconds on the retrieve. Did that for about an hour and half before switching it up and threw on a sidewinder bloodhead for a bit. Not long after that I decided to try an orange sidewinder shad thinking maybe the bright colour might attract some attention. No bites but got a good few snags that where easy to get loose from due to my setup so didn't lose any tackle thankfully. Might try this spot again from the end of July onward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Telegraph Pole Howth 04.05.2020

Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Beautiful spot here. Spent many a night and day here, blanked a few times, but have caught smoothound and bass. Never had any luck with Berkeley gulp or any synthetic baits, but fresh ragworm and peeler crab have landed a few wrasse close in. On the turn of the tide, from high to low, aim for the reef that is out to your left, first hour or two of the ebb, chance of small pollack.

Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 am

Rod Tips wrote:Beautiful spot here. Spent many a night and day here, blanked a few times, but have caught smoothound and bass. Never had any luck with Berkeley gulp or any synthetic baits, but fresh ragworm and peeler crab have landed a few wrasse close in. On the turn of the tide, from high to low, aim for the reef that is out to your left, first hour or two of the ebb, chance of small pollack.

Cheers man, pollock is my top target fish, hope I can catch a good few this year :D

Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 am

is it a safe enough climb down or is it a bit ropey? Theres a few spots up around the bailey that look like they would hold pollock but look abit dodgy to climb down