Local beach mark Mayo 05.04.20

Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:14 pm

People : Myself
Bait: Left overs from yesterday. Macks,sandeels and herring.
Weather: Strong S/E gusts
Tide: LW @ 10.30am

Was determined to use up the last of the bait. The part of the beach i fished was not the normal spot id fish but with them gusts i was happy to use the small cliff as shelter.

Fished from 10.30 till 14.15pm.There was a nice surf present too. Picked up plenty of small turbot in close. Nothing at distance so brought the rod that was operating out at distance in closer to pick up flats

Surprised to see no flounder but you get days like that

It will be very interesting to see how the beaches from Mayo. Sligo and Donegal fish this year for turbot should there be no commercial fishing due to this Covid-19.
Rods were practicing social distancing too.

Anyways good to pass a few hours on a Sunday

Cheers
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Local beach mark Mayo 05.04.20

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Why is there no commercial fishing, thought they could still operate under the food production exemptions

Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Im not saying there is not but it could be a possibilty. Look at castletownbere. Lots of boats tied up due to no markets

Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 pm

hopefully the fish get a chance alright

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:13 pm

Commercial fishing has been cut by 75% can't send fish abroad to Italy or Spain which take a lot of our fish and hotels and restaurants over here are closed so they are not buying fish. So a lot less boats out there. Do a Google search on it. Bad news for the boats but great news for us.

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:29 am

Thompst111 wrote:Commercial fishing has been cut by 75% can't send fish abroad to Italy or Spain which take a lot of our fish and hotels and restaurants over here are closed so they are not buying fish. So a lot less boats out there. Do a Google search on it. Bad news for the boats but great news for us.

Thats what i was hinting at from the original post

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:50 am

I see you using a sand spike there Brian- how do you get on with it? I remember them being quite common in NZ and the surfcasters in the US use them a lot when fishing for stripers

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 pm

shortcircuit wrote:I see you using a sand spike there Brian- how do you get on with it? I remember them being quite common in NZ and the surfcasters in the US use them a lot when fishing for stripers

Great job for when the fishing is quiet and you want to cover area on the beach or if you just want a quick one rod session etc

Very easily to make yourself or even to buy in the shop
Cheap as chips

If you ask me, its a must have for beach anglers

Brian

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:40 pm

How would you find the sand spike in comparison to the regular tripod that most of us use?