Re: SHORE MACKEREL REPORTS 2020

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I fished 7-8

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:00 pm

I caught a good sized mackerel by accident today, was fishing the mouth of Rogerstown estuary into the channel, cast out a badly baited crab which came off in the cast, started reeling in so I could rebait and then bang, the mackerel took the bare circle hook and I couldn't believe it!

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Got a few off the north beach in Skerries tonight spinning after a good few unsuccessful attempts there. Seems to be a good number of fish around at the moment.

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:07 pm

The odd mackerel being caught in Howth this morning, tried the west pier & Balscadden rocks and got one mackerel in each spot all very small.

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Skerries had a few fish this morning but the pier was mobbed by lads feathering to the point that it was dangerous.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:29 pm

A few in Cobh last night, a mix of pan size and pike bait size. :D

Got most by bouncing the lead of the bottom on the way in. Biggest downfall of that was I also caught about a million pin whiting :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:13 am

Saturday 19th
Kinsale Bridge about 3pm to about 6ish, high tide about 6.45 I think. Nothig on our lines. One guy down the Kinsale side of the bridge had two very small Pollack, guy at the opposite two very small joeys.
Tried to head to Sandycove, too many swimmers (seemed to be a meetup going on?)
Went on to Charlesfort, encountered some technical difficulties (teething issues on a new rod) so didnt get to fish for long and met some very, very rude swimmers. Guy on the right of us had a very small pollack and one dogfish.

Sunday 20th
Tried Youghal pier tonight, 7pm to about 11pm. Blanked, lost 3 lines to an incredibly snaggy harbour. Some light nibbles but no real bite. Could even eyeball some decent sized fish around half 8 swimming at my feet, below the pier, but not a notion did they have of jumping on my line. Spied some fish chasing my line back in as I was retrieving, wondering was it my smoked mackerel or smoked bacon rashers they were after... Soon as the tide turned all bites dropped off.

Bit of a disaster of a weekend. Will try again during the week.

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:18 am

A handful picked up in Carrigaholt on Sunday 20th. Mostly smallish macks and joeys.

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Couple of hours on the incoming tide at Ballycotton pier: waste of time. For some reason the water was completely off colour close to shore so I assume this pushed the mackerel offshore to where the water was clear.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:36 am

Caught two on Killiney beach today, both caught on a 3 hook flapper with sections of sandeel, they weren't the target but they saved the blank! Two of the biggest mackerel I've caught at 37cm each
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:23 pm

30 in Cobh this afternoon, mixed sizes

Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:44 pm

donal domeney wrote:30 in Cobh this afternoon, mixed sizes

To catch the igh tide? Off the pier?

Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:13 am

AlanIRL wrote:
donal domeney wrote:30 in Cobh this afternoon, mixed sizes

To catch the igh tide? Off the pier?

Northerly winds are keeping the water very calm in Cobh. Sadly that is going to change before the weekend.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:56 am

Still a few around balbriggan and skerries

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:25 pm

one on a bait retrieve yesterday at lil kilary

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:07 pm

Got a string of mackeral on sabikis near the docks in Galway this afternoon. Fish small but perfect for pike fishing.