NW donegal.. dec 30th

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:13 pm

Time: 3pm to 6.30pm

Tide: slack water through flood

Gear: 2up with frozen mackrel

Single with fresh lug

Weather: light northwesterly, overcast 7cto 10c

Results.. 1 flounder ,8 wee turbot amd the one that got away

Well,, after my wee day out with johnwest who was kind enough to give me a great introduction into beach fishing i couldnt wait to have a crack at it.. got myself a pair of rods and tripod before xmas and got all geared up.. low water was at around 3pm so figured id fish from then till dark.. dug some fresh lug and red rag on the strand and headed on the long walk with herself to tramore beach..
Baited up with mack on one and lug on the other, launched them out and stood back to admire the view..
Well i didnt have much of a chance as 10mins and i was into my first fish..a nice flounder on mackrel bait.. jw showed me a great technique for unhooking them so after a few quick snaps back he went ..
Rebaited ,, 5mins later my rod tip goes again.. this time a bit more violently!! Im into another fish,, 3/4 way in it all goes light and im left with a palm sized turbot..,,
Thats pretty much how the rest of the evening went
A couple of hot chocolates and cookies ,, 7 more turbos on mackrel and not even a nod on the lug/rag..

A great day out and nice to get a few fish too

Re: NW donegal.. dec 30th

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:25 pm

Some pics..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:30 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Great report Martin, nice pics. You're probably fed up catching turbot now! Might the "violent" one have been a sea trout?

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:20 am

Its possible.. have seen them out closer to tramore point while fishing for pollock.. its a bit of initiative for me to go back anyway..

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:53 am

A report from Horn Head / Dunfanaghy, almost brings a tear to my eye and about as rare as a shore caught Guinean Amberjack. My home away from home. That's a fine flounder, pity you didn't have a measure. And yes, almost certainly a trout.