Shannon estuary, 31st October 2019

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:49 am

Venue: Shannon Estuary, co Limerick
Date/Time: 31rd October 6:30pm-9pm
Tides/Weather: High water at 19:30pm, Cloudy, mild, light rain and SE wind
Result: 2 thornback rays (2lb and 4lb)
Loses: 2 leads, 2 rigs due to snagging.

Yesterday I tried to escape from Halloween to do some fishing in Shannon Estuary in a quiet place.
Arriving at the venue just after 6pm I began to unpack my gear, there was a light rain.
Fishing two rods as usual: 2up/1 down with longer traces for one rod and Wessex rig (1up/1down hooks with running ledger lead) on the second rod.
I had 2 whole frozen mackerels and some peeler crab. First bite was after 15 minutes after I refreshed the bait first time.
This was not strong biting, so I expected small strap conger, so this was a ray!!
I got my first ray at Halloween night 4 years ago, never caught rays since.. and yesterday again, ray, caught on a strip of mackerel.
In fairness I was not really fishing for rays, preferring always pollock/wrasse fishing from cliffs or dogs from piers.

Then the fishing became quiet, I was refreshing baits but no other bites.
This year I started to use peeler crab but never got a fish on it. Yesterday I made a few baits from medium size crabs twisted around the hook by elastic and put on the bottom hook, nothing again.. I know this is a great bait, will try again next time.
Also squid is in my bucket list to try also.

Around 8pm I was reeling in to change the bait but just after a second I felt the reel was really heavy as I hit some seaweed.
At the end I realized this was a second ray, bigger than the first one, also caught on mackerel and properly hooked at the mouth.
I have a feeling the ray took the bait while i was reeling.

This was my last fish, I started to packing up, heading back to home, the rain also became heavier.
Anyway, great fishing in my opinion, new specie for this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.