Re: SOUTH COAST COD REPORTS 2019

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:29 pm

I'd be tempted to spin down to Youghal next week for a day if there are a few fish about. Is Ferrypoint still likely to produce then?

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:08 am

Dave F wrote:I'd be tempted to spin down to Youghal next week for a day if there are a few fish about. Is Ferrypoint still likely to produce then?

I'd hold off on that thought, as stated above they are gone very scarce. It could be a long trip for scraps.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 am

Any reports from Cork in the last few days? Looking for somewhere nearby so could travel down as far as Kinsale or up to Youghal. Many thanks in advance :D

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 am

Good mix of fish off Ferrypoint on Sunday, had 4 cod between 40-50cm a few whiting over the 30cm mark. Plenty of small flounder, dabs. coalies, whiting and cod.

I was there on my own for a while so it was baits at distance for cod. Three other anglers who regularly fish the corner arrived and started to pick up some undersize fish close in so a change of tactics was called for. Picked up a cod and a whiting (both over 30cm) in my first cast much to the annoyance of the 3 lads and the usual banter followed.
Out again to the same spot and while my back was turned the rod went flying off the stand. First thoughts was a bass good hard fight on the line big surprise when the fish was landed a lovely pollack @ 3.4lb. I can never remember getting a pollack from there before.
The fish was caught on a size 2 hook and a sliver of mackerel.

ferrypoint pollack 3.4lb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Lovely fishing as always. What's the thought down on the Blackwater in general - do you think there's a fresh run or still generally scarce?

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 pm

guernica84 wrote:Lovely fishing as always. What's the thought down on the Blackwater in general - do you think there's a fresh run or still generally scarce?

All the cod I caught were in the river for a while and were very pale looking.
I think the big run came in October, which was earlier than normal. I'm putting this down to the crab peeling very late.
there is a lot of small whiting after moving in to take the place of the bigger cod.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 pm

ballinwilling fished its socks off last friday night. we had plenty of codling over 2lb. other species we had where whiting coalies rockling and dog fish.I Had also 3 flounder all in the high 20cms. No pin fish where caught bar the wee rocklings and nearly every cast you had a bite.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Ferrypoint today end of the drop to 2 hours into the flood. One small cod at close range, baits were either cleaned out by crabs or came back better looking than they went out. :D

Ferrypoint is now out of bounds until October :( :lol:

The End.