Arthurstown Oct 1st 2019

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:05 pm

I happened to be in Dublin on Monday and called into Southside Angling as i was only minutes away, Brilliant place but as i had my wife with me i couldnt stay too long!!. Purchased some bait including live crab and frozen lug. As i was off work Tuesday i had in my mind to go fishing and so i hatched a rough plan Monday night.

Looking at the weather and strong winds i looked for a possible sheltered spot and came up with the Wexford estuary. Headed to Duncannon beach at low water and realised the tide went way out so had a look at the harbour, there was a guy there fishing at low tide and managed a lovely bass. The water looked so muddy and the wind was howling, it didnt appeal to me so had a look at Athurstown pier. I found a sheltered spot below the pier and set up. The wind was howling over my head but i needed to fish or maybe i was mad. Not long after casting out the tide turned and began to return. Using crab i began to get bites but didn't get hooked up, perhaps they were only small fish pecking at the baits. When i used the lug the fish didn't seem interested. I fished into dark and was amazed at how high the tide rose in a short few hours and the bites dried out. Lovely spot on high water and will be back when there less freshwater coming down from the rivers. So headed home from a blank oh well there's always next time and so the plan begins again although with these storms coming in, it could be a week or so.

Re: Arthurstown Oct 1st 2019

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Did the guy catching the lovely bass not tempt you to try the first spot you looked at? I'm going to have to drag myself out one of these days....

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear you had no fish! They're both very handy spots as you can fish from your car. Arthurstown is dimly lit with those old thungten lights whereas Duncannon is better illuminated and surfaced too with the use if a fresh water tap. Never caught anything in Arthurstown with lugworm, fresh or frozen. Arthurstown itself has a decent amount of ragworm, but the cloggy mud makes it hard work. Plenty of Flounder and hounds when they're in, whiting and a stray codling in the winter and bass sometimes too. I finished both venues several times this past August and September and it has been very slow. At Duncannon this time if year you'll have a chance if a decent codling or two up untill November , the smoothounds have been scarce too this year maybe a chance of a few along with the bass around this time aswell

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 am

johnwest wrote:Did the guy catching the lovely bass not tempt you to try the first spot you looked at? I'm going to have to drag myself out one of these days....

I think he did !! but the sea and the wind OMG rough out the door.Oh well next time

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 am

Rod Tips wrote:Sorry to hear you had no fish! They're both very handy spots as you can fish from your car. Arthurstown is dimly lit with those old thungten lights whereas Duncannon is better illuminated and surfaced too with the use if a fresh water tap. Never caught anything in Arthurstown with lugworm, fresh or frozen. Arthurstown itself has a decent amount of ragworm, but the cloggy mud makes it hard work. Plenty of Flounder and hounds when they're in, whiting and a stray codling in the winter and bass sometimes too. I finished both venues several times this past August and September and it has been very slow. At Duncannon this time if year you'll have a chance if a decent codling or two up untill November , the smoothounds have been scarce too this year maybe a chance of a few along with the bass around this time aswell

Cheers for the info, sounds like i will have to have another visit, would be great to get a decent smoothound or some new species. It was amazing how much the tide came in, having arrived at low water. I will be back thanks

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:38 pm

I fish this venue the most out of any and it can be quite productive some days, others not so much. I blanked on my last outing but I've had some decent fish off it. After fishing it for a few years I've never been able to narrow down a consistent bait but on the frozen side, sandeel and wraps can prove to be quite successful for those impromptu sessions where you can't get anything fresh

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks for that info man, thats something i have found hard sometimes i cant get fresh bait due to weather conditions and the guys cant get out to dig the bait or collect crabs but i may keep a stock of frozen sandeel and lug as a back up. Wondering what species can you catch at this time of the year ? Perhaps cod but would smoothounds be still around? Would like to have a go for a tope sometime but do they only turn up in the summer months or are they along the coast all year round. And also Spurdog do they move off shore or hang around? I may try this mark again as its access to deep water ,probably better to try when the rivers arent flooding like last time. Lots to learn.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:04 pm

Sean Mac wrote:Thanks for that info man, thats something i have found hard sometimes i cant get fresh bait due to weather conditions and the guys cant get out to dig the bait or collect crabs but i may keep a stock of frozen sandeel and lug as a back up. Wondering what species can you catch at this time of the year ? Perhaps cod but would smoothounds be still around? Would like to have a go for a tope sometime but do they only turn up in the summer months or are they along the coast all year round. And also Spurdog do they move off shore or hang around? I may try this mark again as its access to deep water ,probably better to try when the rivers arent flooding like last time. Lots to learn.

I'm not too keyed in on the tope, but I'm almost certain they're a summer species? There's always a chance of a lonesome hound at this time of the year anyway. As for spurs I have no clue, although I caught one from Arthrstown in July. It should be codling, whiting and flats from here with the outside chance of a ray depending on conditions (neap tides are suitable). Always heard of bass from here but haven't caught one from here in 3 years of fishing yet I caught one elsewhere in the estuary. I'm waiting for a window to get down there but it's been quite rainy recently.

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:13 pm

I will get back there just like you say the weather is all over the place. Alot of fresh water coming down, hopefully this rain calms down and will get down to try for some cod. Thanks for the info. May start planning.