Cork harbour 27/09/19

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:23 pm

So for not being fishing in 3 weeks i decided i needed to get out. Due to tide times and only being available friday night i decided to keep away from my local spots and head to cork harbour for the first time see if i could pick up some early whiting or coalies just for a bit of fun.

Weather was nice and calm
if i remember correctly low tide was around 11pm.
Bait was frozen crab, live rag, squid, mackeral and sandeel.

I met my mate at the chosen mark around 19.00 . I decided to cast one out far in the strong current and one in close for a conger. As soon as it became dark the conger rod went non stop i managed to pull one in drop another at the surface and miss a couple of more. My mate had 0 bites at this stage and he decided to go for conger also but with a no luck.

with the far out rod i was thumping our pulley pennel rigs with either crab or full squid. With the 7 ounce led barely holding i saw my rod take a clatter i picked it up and then line started stripping from my multi on a full squid. i began questioning what the hell this could me. It swam with the current taking me 50 yards down the quay while stripping line. after 5 minutes i see a flash of grey and i was like hardly a small tope.....

My mate managed to get down onto the steps and pulled it up and to my surprise it was a smoothhound. Absolutely delighted with this and my mate blanking we started firing both rods out far to see if there was anymore about but we got a dog each so the blank was off for him and i managed 3 species. 12.45 came along and we managed to persuade four star pizza to drop us a delivery not much else materialized bar another dog so we packed up at 2.30 am

Re: Cork harbour 27/09/19

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Well done on the hound. Plenty of them around the harbour.

That fish will making catching bass look boring. Great scrap off them

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 pm

yeah iv had them before from the east coast all the way in kerry also great scrap off them just wasnt expecting one but a surprise is always nice

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Good report and great pics, any of that pizza left , it looks like my kinda grub!

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Thats some result on the pizza --- oh and the smoothie!

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Lovely Fishing Eddie..