Back to Ireland

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Back to Ireland

Postby Dave F » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Got two little daylight sessions in on Thursday and Friday. Day one I had a bit of trouble getting bait but eventually got some rag and squid and headed for Greystones south beach. Set up and got baits in the water fishing loop rigs, one close in and one at modest range, maybe thirty and seventy yards. Managed one bite fishing from about two hours after low water up to just shy of full and got a dogfish. No blank at least!

Friday I managed to get some crab and headed to Poolbeg with the leftover rag and squid. Fished roughly low water up to about an hour shy of full. Quiet for the first bit but on the top half of the tide started getting bites. First was a good sized dogfish, lost at the rocks when a snood touched a rock edge and the fish pinged off. Next up, a nice bass of about three pounds, not a long fish but very fat, and finally a nice smoothie about five pounds. He hit hard enough that even with drags set light he pulled the tripod over. Not good for the heart but good session to christen a new rod
and nice to catch a few fish on daylight sessions!

For this message the author Dave F has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:47 am), corbyeire (Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 am), m.b3 (Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:59 pm)
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Re: Back to Ireland

Postby Greendag » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Fair play, sounds like a decent session down Poolbeg, what was the weed like there? I was down there a couple of weeks ago and it was bad
Greendag
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 183 times

Re: Back to Ireland

Postby Dave F » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 pm

There was a lot of that horrible soft scummy type weed. I took to having spare traces ready and baited just because it was taking a while to clear them every cast. So it was manageable, but a bit of a pain. 6oz grips were holding just fine, build up wasn't enough to dislodge them or anything.

For this message the author Dave F has received thanks:
corbyeire (Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 am)
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports