Sligo pier

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:22 pm

I managed to get out fishing for the 1st time in a couple of years. A mate and myself headed out west to a pier in Sligo. There were plenty of Mullet around that you could see from the pier. I tried a bit of bread but to no avail they were swimming past it. Nothing happened for a while so moved further down the pier, I switched bait to mackerel and landed a nice Mullet, got a quick photo and then returned it. There were other lads catching Conger on the same pier. I have attached a picture and the foot in the picture is a size 11.
It was great to get back out fishing again, can’t leave it as long next time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sligo pier

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Nice! Mullet on Mackerel, well there you go. Nice fish.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks, I had a conger rod out too which had half a mackerel on it, I used the mackerel innards for the mullet rod.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 am

Used to get mullet on mackerel all the time in Balbriggan harbour,just take the fillets off a mac ,then hang the carcass just off the bottom ,wait till the mullet start feeding on it then freeline small bits among the shoal,keep an eye on your bait ,when they take it strike low and get the fish away from the shoal so it won’t scare the rest,you should get a few of there in the humor

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:53 am

Nice to know there’s still a few mullet to go after. Only ever caught one, on a piece of cheese from my sambo :) used to see so many of them around Dublin, haven’t seen them in any numbers for years now. Hope to get the opportunity to target them sometime. Nice fish, well done!

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks, Occasionally you can sea them of the pier in Skerries. They are still about and in ok numbers, but can be tricky to catch and get easily spooked.