Black head bitten off

Tue May 07, 2019 10:09 am

Hi lads. Was up fishing black head yesterday. Landed to the spot and my makeral fell in so had to get more! Thank god the siopa fanore has bait as yod be hours otherwise lol. Was using half makeral on 8/0 steel trace. Iv 70lb braided mainline and 120lb shock. From LW to high tide. It was about the full tide mark when I got a huge bite the whole rod went over and nearly the stand. I struck it and I lifted into a serious weight, it stayed low and it gave a couple of headshakes. I did what I could for about 40 yards with him taking line in small bits too then all of a sudden it stopped coming.(my inexperience with a yoke this size prob gave him bit too much slack) Kept pressure on the line for 20mins, if I let up he would tighten again in a series of tugs. Stayed with it for another 20 mins and then I hand pulled the mainline and It broke at the shock knot.

Any suggestions what it was? I was thinking skate but then a fella there told me it was probly a huge conger that got his tail around something(this makes bit more sense) . From what iv seen about shark videos it didn't take a run like there supposed to.

Ended up with 3 spider crab, 2 doggie and a recked head lol I know where ill be all summer lol

Re: Black head bitten off

Tue May 07, 2019 11:59 am

Theres big conger down there for sure, most likely thing. As you say if it was a tope it would have run more. Thats not to say it wasnt a skate or big stinger or the like. Hard lines.

Tue May 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Hopefully it was conger. Stinger or skate and ill cry.
I'll just never know for sure. I can't stop thinking about it lol next time

Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Conger is the most likely, thee have been some big huss off there n the past but dont rule out the skate, I have seen one that had hold of a dogfish, the skate wasnt hooked but did not let go until it was up on the surface. Where abouts were you on Black Head

Thu May 09, 2019 9:51 pm

Jesus iv only bottom fished there twice and so it's kinda all the one to me but between the lighthouse and the flats. I'll try get the number for ya

Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 am

Woulfrec, I havent been there for a while but if you were about as far right from the lighthouse as you can walk and fish off the lower ledges that was always a conger hotspot. I hope it has recovered now it took a hammering a few years back.

Sat May 11, 2019 8:52 am

I'd say that's exactly where I was your bang on. I'll get him again