Smokin' smoothie makers it's green bread

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:06 pm

With the recent mild weather my thoughts were on getting a mullet early in the year, a February mullet. It seemed a much more interesting challenge than heading out in the dark to scratch for rockling, as much as i love them :)
With only a few days left before we enter into March I had to get on with it.

The evening before my trip saw me get out the coarse match gear and make sure everything was still functional. I then began the chore of blending frozen bread in the smoothie maker. I went at it like a madman and it finally gave up the ghost in a puff of smoke :D I had enough so I didn't really care and I don't think I ever made a smoothie with the bloody thing anyway!

When I arrived the swans where waiting for me! They can be a pain but if they are over annoying you for bread it often means someone has been feeding them which means they have been feeding the mullet too!

My trick was to dye the bread to make it harder for the swans to see it on the bottom and it seemed to work?!

The mullet were soon on the scene and quite happy taking bread on the surface. There where some good fish too, bigger than I expected. I could see the white hookbait and waited for it to disappear. It did, but only briefly, as the tip plucked forward and fell back- tense times! I retrieved quietly and put on a fresh bait gently tightening up to the weight of the splitshot. Seconds passed,the tip quivered slightly and then round and round it went!!! Raising the rod it curved right over and began cushioning the first of several runs. I couldn't stop smiling.

In the net- job done!

The easterly wind starting picking up as I released the fish and the grey ghosts, living up to their name, had vanished. I didn't see another one. I slowly packed the gear away and headed off happy looking forward to the next time.

Re: Smokin' smoothie makers and green bread

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Good read and nice catch!

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:21 am

dyeing the bread - the detail of a master in a very narrow fishing window

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 am

Nice report and well done on getting your early mullet; for some reason I can't see your pictures though and I've looked on my Kindle and laptop.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 am

Same story here.can not see images either iPhone or MacBook. :(

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:55 am

I cant see your images either Mr. Baitey.
Did you put the camera in the blender too ya pup?
Great stuff.

Re: Smokin' smoothie makers it's green bread

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 pm

sorry about that my old image hosting website has been playing up. i have tried a new one. any better?

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:02 am

Perfect.and very nice mullet!

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:39 am

brilliant, thanks.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:59 am

Aaah! Great pics, worth waiting for. Lovely fish and even your scissors are green. Your grass could do with a trim, I can talk as I've just cut mine.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:08 am

i made a start trimming the grass but i think i need a bigger scissors :)

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm

After a lot of years trying to get my first mullet I finally got one after using rubber gloves while baiting up for I found this out after watching a youtube video on hand scent's and what they can do.Apparently fish can taste the scent of a human or anything not edible which makes them spit it out like mullet or not even try to eat it like other fish.I now always use rubber gloves while baiting up and it seems to have worked for me anyone else used this method ?
mickser

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:51 pm

thats fair enough Mickser maybe so i haven't tried it. i think that might matter more with fish that have been caught before? maybe they like the taste of rubber gloves :shock: