Waterfoot co Antrim

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:32 pm

well lads I got permission from the wife, well she wasn't working so I said I am going fishing, she didn't object so that was permission granted.

Finished work on Saturday evening and headed to the bait shop to stock up, got home cooked tea then packed the car. Tides where best for the east coast so headed to waterfoot beach. Arrived about 8.30pm and had first bait in the water for 9pm and first fish landed by 9.15pm, a pin whiteing so blank saved and could be in in for a busy night. Rebaited the flattie rod and lobed it out 40 yards or so, set up two distance rods one with large baits of crab or squid and the other with lug worm. Most of the action came to the in close rod with several flatties, best 22cm a few pin whiteing, the big baits came back untouched by fish and mauled by crabs. Fished up to high water and 2 hours down and most of the action came on the ebb tide. The only fish at distance came at last cast with a double shot of codling on black lug.

Rigs used where 2 up one down size 1 hooks on flattie/close in rod
A 4/0 pulley pennel on the big bait rod and two hook loop rig on the other distance rod.

The flatties took worm or crab, whiteing took mackerel and codling took black lug.

All in all 9 fish in January isn't too bad even though no big ones, maybe after some colder weather the cod may come out to play, here's hoping

Re: Waterfoot co Antrim

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Not a bad way to spend an evening, and even better to finish with 9 fish on the beach.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:36 pm

They are always small on that beach - great for numbers though

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Fair play for getting out and as you say, 9 fish isn't bad for January; we're hitting that lean time. Will have to head out myself.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:57 am

Fished around the corner yesterday in Cushendall. Had a couple of pin cod and a few edible crabs for a few hours of effort. Defo lean times.
Did you fish the pier or the beach? That can be a nice beach for flounder when they are ‘on’, catchable right in the suds.
Nice report

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:47 pm

chuckaroo wrote:Fished around the corner yesterday in Cushendall. Had a couple of pin cod and a few edible crabs for a few hours of effort. Defo lean times.
Did you fish the pier or the beach? That can be a nice beach for flounder when they are ‘on’, catchable right in the suds.
Nice report

Fished the beach mate