Re: SOUTH COAST COD 2018 reports

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:43 pm

JD have some of the results posted.
Had another cod caught before the big one that measured 55cm. So I had the two biggest cod on the night.
There were a few 3lb fish caught off Ferrypoint on Sunday.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Good going. Seen the results there. Few good coalies about too. Seems to have been a good day.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Just back from under bridge again , fish a cast , only thing is all 4-5 inches long , maybe darkness is key , there was a fair pull there aswell , suppose tides will have that place finished for another week or so, back to scratching on the beaches again

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:41 am

The two biggest cod caught on the beach that night, both by me

top fish @ 55cm and the winner @ 68cm

2 biggest cod.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Not cod but still worth a cast fished a comp in Cobh yesterday, behind the Garda station, about 100 whiting caught that were over the 30cm with a few getting measures over 40cm.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:16 pm

Not south coast but had two small codling 25cm from Shannon estuary

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Me and friends have had a good few codling around the 2lb mark off a few of the south wexford beaches in the last week

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:53 pm

Am thinking of a trip to the mud hole next week. Any updates on how it is fishing lately??

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Has anyone had any luck on kilogram beach lately or ballyvalden? Thanks

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:24 pm

I meant kilgorman beach!

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Well lads. going to youghal in search of my first cod. any reports? and and places i should go to increase the odds?
Sound

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Woulfec wrote:Well lads. going to youghal in search of my first cod. any reports? and and places i should go to increase the odds?
Sound

As far as I can see, Ferrypoint in Youghal is one of the best spots going.

Best time to fish it is at low water. It probably fishes ok over high water too but I never fished high water. Any other time the tide is too strong and it's impossible to hold bottom. Like a lot of estuary marks neap tides will give you a bigger window to fish.

I'd say it would be no harm to give Donal Domeney a pm he always is very free with advice and I met him once in person and he is a gent. There is no one more knowledgeable on the cod fishing in Cork.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49138&p=376066

Great post from Donal on this thread on the different youghal marks and locations

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks very much buddy.
Funny you say that I was reading all the past archived posts on cod and seen his huge input in all of them. So I have wrote to him already he had great advice regarding tides and too said same spot.
I was just writing to see any recent reports.
I will throw up a post after my trip to see how we went.

Cheers for the help

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi All,

headed to the Youghal estuary last Saturday to see if i could pick up my first cod of the year! cleaned out the freezer and headed off with a mix of crab, squid, razor mackerel, lug. coditions were ideal, nice bright day and not a puff of wind.

I set up around mid way through the fill. Fished 1 rod solely with crab and the other with variants of all the rest.

To my amazement 80%+ of casts with the crab took in a small codling 0.5lb-2lb with a success rate of zero on the other rod!!

Lesson learned for (which i was told before but didnt listen :lol: ) If you dont have crab to at least tip your baits with your at nothing fishing youghal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Went down to Greenpark? The wall across from the Walter Raleigh yesterday,

Fished 3 hours of the coming flood and 2 of the ebb, Fresh live Crab and sandeel for bait.
Had 5 Good size whiting, missed at least 6 more, and all the action came at 6.30 - 700 so just as the Flood was in fully.

2 others next to me, 1 had 5 codling All on Worm baits, first I've ever heard of it but there you go. And I believe the other had fish too but didn't find out what they were.. Beautiful night anyway.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:56 am

Fished the Abbey on Sunday high water 10:00, started at about 09:30. Had 9 cod between then and 13:00, over the 30cm size, with plenty
27-30cm as well. Not a fish the 30cm size after that.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm

I think the run of them are gone

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Fished Ferrypoint last thursday just before 2.00 as the tide was out, got me species - 2 codling - tiny but still and 2 Coalies, on crab.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 pm

ste c wrote:I think the run of them are gone

To be honest the run never started. :cry: Hopefully the drop in temperatures might bring a few of the bigger fellows.

My tally for the winter was 3 cod over 6lb. 5 cod between 5 and 6lb and about 20 cod between 3 and 5lb. I've seen better from Youghal.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 pm

There was a run of them in the waterford estuary as id a good few out i heard youghal wasnt great you seemed to have got a few decent 1s donal nice going