Re: SOUTH COAST COD 2018 reports

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Fished Ferrypoint Saturday on the start of the flood. Only 2 cod for over 2 hours fishing no great size to them. Plenty of weed to test the arm sockets.
Ended up on Youghal beach had 1 whiting and 4 dogs in five casts.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:33 pm

donal domeney wrote:Fished Ferrypoint Saturday on the start of the flood. Only 2 cod for over 2 hours fishing no great size to them. Plenty of weed to test the arm sockets.
Any size to the whiting Donal?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:39 am

any sign of painted ray about off the beach ?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 am

jellybait wrote:any sign of painted ray about off the beach ?

Haven't caught one yet this winter and have only heard of a small few been caught and that would include the Garryvoe beaches as well.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:55 am

basshunter10 wrote:
donal domeney wrote:Fished Ferrypoint Saturday on the start of the flood. Only 2 cod for over 2 hours fishing no great size to them. Plenty of weed to test the arm sockets.

As said above "Fished Youghal beach last night from about two hours after low water. dogs, coalfish, small cod and about 20 whiting 10 keepers over 33cm"

It seems to fish better after half tide and on the drop.
Good size to them, a few 40cm ones about, but they prefer the calmer conditions sadly so do the dogs. :x

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:41 am

donal domeney wrote:
jellybait wrote:any sign of painted ray about off the beach ?

Haven't caught one yet this winter and have only heard of a small few been caught and that would include the Garryvoe beaches as well.

8 lb female taken off Carrownisky Beach on a whole sandeel at distance on 2nd hour of the ebb in darkness on Sunday night.
So they are coming in around the country.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:39 pm

donal domeney wrote:
basshunter10 wrote:

As said above "Fished Youghal beach last night from about two hours after low water. dogs, coalfish, small cod and about 20 whiting 10 keepers over 33cm"

It seems to fish better after half tide and on the drop.
Good size to them, a few 40cm ones about, but they prefer the calmer conditions sadly so do the dogs. :x
Thanks Donal, worth a spin down so on a favourable day. Love a good whiting session when they're a good stamp and my favourite fish for the table.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Anyone heard of any cod on Wicklow beaches yet? Thinking of giving enneriely a go tomorrow

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:56 pm

[/quote]8 lb female taken off Carrownisky Beach on a whole sandeel at distance on 2nd hour of the ebb in darkness on Sunday night.
So they are coming in around the country.[/quote]

Wow and that beach is usually a desert!

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 pm

cd07 wrote:Anyone heard of any cod on Wicklow beaches yet? Thinking of giving enneriely a go tomorrow
There was a competition on it at the weekend. Longest round fish was a 42cm coalie. If you fish it will you let me know how you get on please. I've been stuck in doors waiting on a new born and she arrived at the wknd so a session is being planned.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 pm

No problem! Congrats on the new born!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 am

Pleasure to meet you on Saturday Donal, thanks for the advice and for the gifts!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Id 5 last night in waterford also plenty of flounder biggest all codling around 3-4lb

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Was thinking of heading to the carpets or Ferry Point tomorrow, about an hour before high tide. Would it be crab and lug that work best there or should I be bringing other bait? Thanks

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 am

They would be the top baits. Mussel would be the only other bait I would use for cod.

Don't go topping off these baits with mackerel or squid (my opinion)

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pm

donal domeney wrote:They would be the top baits. Mussel would be the only other bait I would use for cod.

Don't go topping off these baits with mackerel or squid (my opinion)

Thanks for the tip Donal !

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Went to Ferry Point last night, just after low tide for about 3 hours. Started promising with a codling, but the current picked up too much and left me empty handed

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:22 am

3 in waterford estuary this evening, biggest arround 3 and a half pound,got a flounder aswell

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:01 am

had 3 on garyvoe beach last night...3 to 4lb

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Fished comp on Garryvoe Saturday night - 2 cod caught, biggest just over 1lb