Bray area, Co. Wicklow

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:36 pm

Friday : 20th July
Duration : 16.30- 20.00
High Tide 18.45
Lures

Great evening for fishing, misty, rain, dull, sea calm, water clarity very good. As the sea was so calm I decided to use my Illex Bonnie. After about 30 minutes I got a great take and hooked into a very active and lively Bass which I managed to land and it was between 8 and 10 lb, fish was released in great condition. Really pleased with that. Continued on but didn't get anything else. Tried later on for some Mackerel but still none showing. I've had great success this year with Bass, usually they show around Dublin and Wicklow in September and October on lures but this year has been exceptional for me. Maybe it is due to the long hot spell we had, not sure. Cheers.

Re: Bray area, Co. Wicklow

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 pm

What lures would you recommend for Bass in the area? just starting out with this type of fishing after years of the tip watching stuff

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 am

There are many factors to consider when going for Bass, its not just having the lure that will guarantee you a catch. There are many lures now in the shops, some are rubbish and are only designed to catch the angler. I think these days there are lures that Anglers have as their favourites and always use, as is the case with me. I only fish with about 10 or 12 lures in my case when I go out. If you have a box full of lures you will end up getting distracted with all your new shiny lures and keep changing and also you will loose concentration when fishing and keep thinking, will I change or not. My go to lures are Slug-Go, Wave Worm, Fiish Crazy Sandeel, Fiish Black Minnow, Maria Chase, Kilty, Savage Gear Sandeel, Sammy, Illex Bonnie. I have caught Bass, Pollock, Wrasse and Mackerel on all of these, so no need for me to change to the 'new lure' thats being marketed at the moment. Other Anglers will have their favourites, but for me if its not broken no need to fix it :-). Also the lures I have mentioned will cover all depths, surface, shallow diver, weedless, you should have 1 of each in your bag plus 1 extra, the soft plastics, slug go's are easy to carry so can bring the packet.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Nice one richie good to see your still at it anyways

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:43 pm

ste c wrote:Nice one richie good to see your still at it anyways

Hahaha yeah Ste, still out and about, can't keep me away from the sea, I must have been a fish in my previous life :lol:

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 am

Fine fish richie, plenty of bass but no mackerel, how many saw that coming?