Greystones South Beach

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Greystones South Beach

Postby spandito » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:02 am

Mates invited me to join them on Saturday evening for a few hours on Greystones South Beach. Invited another friend of mine to join us, mainly as a spectator, but I did bring 2 rods of course and did the usual hard work whilst he wouldn't touch anything but was happy to cast it out :-)
Anyway we arrived a bit later than planned at around 21:30 which was about an hour after high tide and we fished till about 00:30.
We all had action from doggies with myself claiming the biggest of the night at around 8 lb! Unfortunately there was only the 2 of us left at this stage with not a bar of phone battery between us but did manage to get some earlier snaps of other fish caught.
I had 5 dogs and 1 small Pollock, Sean had 4 dogs, Ger had 3 dogs and Monty had the hot rod (which I loaned him and mainly because he wasn't casting out far) which managed to haul in 11 dogs, 3 Pollock, 1 small flat fish (before I arrived so unsure of species) and a very small Codling.
Baits used - Fresh Rag, Frozen Mackerel, Frozen Squid and Frozen Crab. The Worms started well initially, but once the squid went on (which was 3 months old and had been re-frozen at least 5 times) it was catching everything after. Added Black lug to the mix but the Squid kept doing it. Then tried some frozen crab with some squid on the top hook only. Crab not touched. All the fish caught on my rod were on the exact same piece of squid. I didn't change it once (for the craic) and it caught the last fish 10 minutes before we packed up!Same squid didnt get a nibble around Howth or Clogherhead during recent outings....

Anyhow for 3 hours fishing was a great evening had by all. Will be out with some fresh crab this week looking for the hounds now.

Tight lines!

file2n.jpg
Monty smashing the dogs :-)

file5n.jpg
And again!

file6.jpg
Ger's first ever fish in Ireland :-)

For this message the author spandito has received thanks: 3
basilrabbit (Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm), corbyeire (Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:23 am), EddieK (Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:46 am)
spandito
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 16 times

Re: Greystones South Beach

Postby Sweetwrasse » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Well done lads....Been a while since I've fished it but I do like that beach. I'd say the 8lb doggie was a bullhuss...and if so well done! Interesting on the squid... I've fished the best of fresh rag there side by side with frozen rag from a previous session and the frozen stuff has outfished fresh by 2:1 on at least 3 occasions. Must be pure scavengers around there!
It ain't easy but it sure is simple!
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 217 times

Postby fishonit » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 pm

Sweetwrasse wrote:Well done lads....Been a while since I've fished it but I do like that beach. I'd say the 8lb doggie was a bullhuss...and if so well done! Interesting on the squid... I've fished the best of fresh rag there side by side with frozen rag from a previous session and the frozen stuff has outfished fresh by 2:1 on at least 3 occasions. Must be pure scavengers around there!

I thought rag didn't freeze very well. Are you rapping them in paper?
fishonit
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby Sweetwrasse » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 pm

[/quote]
I thought rag didn't freeze very well. Are you rapping them in paper?[/quote]

It doesn't freeze well but it's grand for scratching about...I just hate wasting it so just throw it in the freezer as is. You'd be pouring it onto the hook sometimes but it does catch.
It ain't easy but it sure is simple!

For this message the author Sweetwrasse has received thanks:
fishonit (Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm)
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 217 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports