Donegal pier

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Donegal pier

Postby MC » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Well I was itching to get fishing as I had new gear to christen so with casting called off due to lambing I took my fishing gear out and blew the dust off it. I headed to one of my favourite piers in the hope of a conger and anything else. Once I finally managed to get away after the family was sorted for the night I had a nice drive in the Donegal countryside and even in the dark it was enjoyable. Once at the mark I set up the conger rod with a full joey mackerel and dropped it over the side, set up the new rod an anyfish anywhere estuary rod with a 3 hook flapper and lobbed it in close, finally I set up a rod with a pulley rig and the new 515 mark 3( love the colours) and set it out about 100yards. For the next 3 hours the crabs fed well, cleaning the hooks, they even managed to clean the conger bait but once I changed it to a squid and half mackerel combo it lasted longer. I had a few pull downs on the conger rod but no runs, the scratching rod managed 3 coalies in quick succession but then I lost the rig to weeds which is a pain as it was my most successful scratching rig, so I guess I need to tie a new one. As for the distance rod it was motionless, not even a dog and I guess it's early at this mark for the rays. So with the clocks going forward the time got late and the tide was dropping so I began to pack up, first the scratching rod was broke down and as I was doing that I brought the pulley rig closer. Once I put the scratching rod away, which was christened with 3 small coalies I noticed the big rod bounce, winding in it felt strange, something was on but it didn't feel right a wee coalie had implaled itself in its side on the 4/0 hook, now I ask you does this count as a catch and christen the new reel or is it a foul hooked fish and doesn't count? Feeling optimistic I relaunched the pulley rig and rebaited the conger rod, but it wasn't to be as both rods where motionless for an hour, not even crabs where interested not surprised as I had fed them all night. With an air of defeat I packed away both rods, drove home to clean and put away my gear, ready for the next time.
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Re: Donegal pier

Postby corbyeire » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:00 pm

you know yourself mc, officially it doesn't count - but the new gear did catch you a fish, fair play on the effort

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
MC (Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:53 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:21 am

Fair play indeed, better luck next time.
Foul hooked fish are caught fish, wouldn’t bother me either way! It counts :)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby johnwest » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 am

Nice report MC, a few fish and bites to beat the blank at this lean time of year. "Casting called off due to lambing"! Reminds me of years ago when I was at work, down on all fours, face pressed up against the side and one arm thrust into the innards of the photocopier groping around for a jammed sheet of paper. In walks a part-time farmer and says " You'd be quare and handy at lambing!"
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks:
MC (Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:12 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby Bielsibub » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Nice report man, its just nice to get out sometimes........ catching is a bonus but nice to be out and alone with your thoughts.

For this message the author Bielsibub has received thanks:
MC (Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:51 pm)
Bielsibub
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby DavidLynch » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 pm

better luck next time mc still a bit early for the rays
DavidLynch
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports