Switch to full style
Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing
Topic locked

Donegal pier

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Well I was itching to get fishing as I had new gear to christen so with casting called off due to lambing I took my fishing gear out and blew the dust off it. I headed to one of my favourite piers in the hope of a conger and anything else. Once I finally managed to get away after the family was sorted for the night I had a nice drive in the Donegal countryside and even in the dark it was enjoyable. Once at the mark I set up the conger rod with a full joey mackerel and dropped it over the side, set up the new rod an anyfish anywhere estuary rod with a 3 hook flapper and lobbed it in close, finally I set up a rod with a pulley rig and the new 515 mark 3( love the colours) and set it out about 100yards. For the next 3 hours the crabs fed well, cleaning the hooks, they even managed to clean the conger bait but once I changed it to a squid and half mackerel combo it lasted longer. I had a few pull downs on the conger rod but no runs, the scratching rod managed 3 coalies in quick succession but then I lost the rig to weeds which is a pain as it was my most successful scratching rig, so I guess I need to tie a new one. As for the distance rod it was motionless, not even a dog and I guess it's early at this mark for the rays. So with the clocks going forward the time got late and the tide was dropping so I began to pack up, first the scratching rod was broke down and as I was doing that I brought the pulley rig closer. Once I put the scratching rod away, which was christened with 3 small coalies I noticed the big rod bounce, winding in it felt strange, something was on but it didn't feel right a wee coalie had implaled itself in its side on the 4/0 hook, now I ask you does this count as a catch and christen the new reel or is it a foul hooked fish and doesn't count? Feeling optimistic I relaunched the pulley rig and rebaited the conger rod, but it wasn't to be as both rods where motionless for an hour, not even crabs where interested not surprised as I had fed them all night. With an air of defeat I packed away both rods, drove home to clean and put away my gear, ready for the next time.

Re: Donegal pier

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:00 pm

you know yourself mc, officially it doesn't count - but the new gear did catch you a fish, fair play on the effort

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:21 am

Fair play indeed, better luck next time.
Foul hooked fish are caught fish, wouldn’t bother me either way! It counts :)

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 am

Nice report MC, a few fish and bites to beat the blank at this lean time of year. "Casting called off due to lambing"! Reminds me of years ago when I was at work, down on all fours, face pressed up against the side and one arm thrust into the innards of the photocopier groping around for a jammed sheet of paper. In walks a part-time farmer and says " You'd be quare and handy at lambing!"

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Nice report man, its just nice to get out sometimes........ catching is a bonus but nice to be out and alone with your thoughts.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 pm

better luck next time mc still a bit early for the rays
Topic locked