Mayo Beach

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Mayo Beach

Postby joe the junior » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Winds south westerly and rapid rise in temperature had me Itchin to get out Saturday for the day. Myself and the young buck headed off down the blustery road to a sheltered beach, although sheltered there was still a strong breeze present. Tide was dropping and first cast saw a coalie at 32cm. I then had a small flounder of 20cm to follow. My brother caught a nice plump 32cm flounder which took all 3 hooks on his flapper rig. Then my rod went bouncing at an unholy rate, fish dashing side to side and afew leaps in the surf saw my first sea trout of the year, a brute 58cm roughly 6lb and on the bottom hook dealing with the action packed fight was a turbot of 25cm. In the meantime the brother landed another 32cm flounder this time it was double sided with no white underbelly. Afew more flounder were caught in the next hour or so and I had another sea trout of 41cm. The brother started getting doubles of flounders then, from 32cm-25cm bracket and on my second last cast there was another welcoming bounce on my rod, with what felt like forever and a great fight battling against the surge saw my last trout of the day, once again a fine fish at 58cm but this time abit skinnier at about 4.5lbs. We had a total of 21 fish in just under 4 hours between us with the bro finishing with a pair of 25cm flounder
-Joe
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks: 5
birdseye (Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08 pm), chuckaroo (Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:18 pm), del04 (Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 pm), jack01986 (Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:35 pm), mickser (Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Mayo Beach

Postby del04 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 pm

joe the junior wrote:Winds south westerly and rapid rise in temperature had me Itchin to get out Saturday for the day. Myself and the young buck headed off down the blustery road to a sheltered beach, although sheltered there was still a strong breeze present. Tide was dropping and first cast saw a coalie at 32cm. I then had a small flounder of 20cm to follow. My brother caught a nice plump 32cm flounder which took all 3 hooks on his flapper rig. Then my rod went bouncing at an unholy rate, fish dashing side to side and afew leaps in the surf saw my first sea trout of the year, a brute 58cm roughly 6lb and on the bottom hook dealing with the action packed fight was a turbot of 25cm. In the meantime the brother landed another 32cm flounder this time it was double sided with no white underbelly. Afew more flounder were caught in the next hour or so and I had another sea trout of 41cm. The brother started getting doubles of flounders then, from 32cm-25cm bracket and on my second last cast there was another welcoming bounce on my rod, with what felt like forever and a great fight battling against the surge saw my last trout of the day, once again a fine fish at 58cm but this time abit skinnier at about 4.5lbs. We had a total of 21 fish in just under 4 hours between us with the bro finishing with a pair of 25cm flounder
-Joe
Great fishing Joe!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't!!

For this message the author del04 has received thanks: 3
birdseye (Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:07 pm), joe the junior (Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:04 pm), kieran (Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 am)
del04
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby corbyeire » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Thats great action, getting the practice in for two weeks time!

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
joe the junior (Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:07 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby joe the junior » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:09 pm

corbyeire wrote:Thats great action, getting the practice in for two weeks time!

By competition standards the brother won me by 8cm, New possible recruit for the year!
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks:
corbyeire (Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:44 pm)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Postby zeke » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:26 pm

That’s a sound session lads!
tight lines,
zeke

2013 species:
seatrout,plaice,dogfight,wrasse,Pollack,thornback ray,spotted ray,red gurnard,tompot blenny,sandeel,herring,mackerel....

For this message the author zeke has received thanks:
joe the junior (Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm)
zeke
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby johnwest » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 am

Nice session Joe, a few lovely sea trout in particular. Gotta get a camera and take a few pics!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby joe the junior » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:52 am

johnwest wrote:Nice session Joe, a few lovely sea trout in particular. Gotta get a camera and take a few pics!
always have problems uploading the pics JW but there's one from my Instagram!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180204-015407.jpeg
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Postby joe the junior » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:11 pm

This was the third trout
Attachments
Screenshot_20180204-110906.jpeg
Skinner one 58cm
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Postby johnwest » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Lovely fish Joe, I wonder had the leaner fish spawned while the heavy one hadn't?
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby joe the junior » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:08 pm

johnwest wrote:Lovely fish Joe, I wonder had the leaner fish spawned while the heavy one hadn't?

Possibly JW, I took time in reviving them as they were fairly worn out!
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Postby zeke » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Monster trout Joe!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
tight lines,
zeke

2013 species:
seatrout,plaice,dogfight,wrasse,Pollack,thornback ray,spotted ray,red gurnard,tompot blenny,sandeel,herring,mackerel....

For this message the author zeke has received thanks:
joe the junior (Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:35 pm)
zeke
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby seank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm

joe the junior wrote:
corbyeire wrote:Thats great action, getting the practice in for two weeks time!

By competition standards the brother won me by 8cm, New possible recruit for the year!

Hes got a fair good tutor anyway ;) super fishing buck
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports