a few casts,west cork...

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

a few casts,west cork...

Postby lucky13 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:49 pm

tis a bit of a late report but sure as they say...
my fishing freak buddy called to me at lunch time on saturday the 28th of last september only bursting to throw out a few baits and all the gods know all i need is a mention of fishing and thats all that goes thru me head.
twas´nt long and there was some sort of a plan hatched. :roll:
the tides were going low to 1.5 m at 18:15 and we would´nt be seeing any sort of depth till at least ten bells at pretty much all the marks in the direction of where we where headed,but he has this thing in his head that we always have good luck in beaches we did´nt fish before,not ever realising that all the marks i took him to i have fished before,but not these two.
anywho i played ball.
we pounded down a few scalds and headed off via dans with the idea of heading Clon ways,maybe out inchydoney or ring maybe,having an owl sconce about at a few spots and scratch about till dusk fell.
we drove around for a bit and settled on a tiny little south facing beach that still held a considerable amount of water two hours before low tide.about six feet,it had a nice tidy lil slip which made for a grand platform for the few hours we were there.
ballinglanna i think twas called.
we agreed on using one rod a man to save on the bait for later on in the evening,hopefully when things would get interesting as the tide crawled in,so the dozen crab were kept in the car.
as we were setting up i got chatting to a local lad who had been out in his dinghy that morning and he said the place was full of flounder,so thats the road we took.
after five or six casts each with black lug,sandeel,squid and mackerel,on there own and in cocktails and a few variations in hook sizes and rigs,without a tip on the rods or wiggle of a nibble,twas time to move on.
we headed back they way we came and found a nice sheltered mark west of inchydoney where the coming tide was letting itself be seen.when we got close enough we could see a shoal of grey mullet breaking the surface of the water and i could´ve sworn i saw a few spiky fins roaming around them,so we set up again two rods a man,i loaded up with black lug on a pennel rig with 2/0 aberdeens and a full peeler on a 3/0 pennel and me buddy did almost the same opting for the sandeel mounted on a single 3/0 instead of the black lug.
about five minutes into the first cast i got a strong bite that unset my weight and took my bait against the current and i lifted into the strike and bang,a lovely bar of silver was thrashing head shakes on the surface,i lifted my rod again to really dig my hook in and as soon as he appeared he was gone,lost :( ...disaster :evil: full of adrenaline i feverishly baited up again with black lug,by the time it hit the water my buddies rod was hopping with all the lovely things a nice bass does to a rod tip as he lifted into a fine 62cm fish that fought hard who swallowed the whole crab on the 3/0 pennel.
we fished on hard for about 3 hours after,throwing everything we could at it but it seemed the window had closed.
we packed up the gear and headed back eastwards,me cursing myself and the buddy bragging on the way we got chatting about another spot near fountainstown that gave up a few bass and cod for me when we fished it at high water in the winters past so we said we´d have one more crack at it...
after 3 casts each twas getting late and i had just wrapped up another peeler onto a 3/0 pulley pennel twas agreed to be the last cast of the session.i started to pack up some of my gear when i seen my glowstick wobbling in the corner of my eye,i was hoping for a bass but a nice cod would do it too i thought to meself as i set my hook and when i did i knew twas neither,i knew exactly what it was,the blank saver,ive caught so many over the years the nickname the "kennel master" is starting to stick to me haha.aw well...
on the way home i must have heard "still tho always nice to catch something" followed by a big laugh at least twenty times.
i did´nt mind because i have´nt been out on the beaches much this year so i enjoyed every minute of it. :)
Attachments
V.jpg
VI.jpg
VII.jpg
VIII.jpg
VIII.jpg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 680 times
IX.jpg

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm), zeke (Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:26 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Re: a few casts,west cork...

Postby lucky13 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:51 pm

few more pics...
Attachments
I.jpg
I.jpg (91.27 KiB) Viewed 679 times
II.jpg
II.jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 679 times
III.jpg