Mayo Areas

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Mayo Areas

Postby joe the junior » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Been out afew times the past 2 weeks with no report as fishing has been only ok. Session one took us wrasse fishing with 4 ballen wrasse for myself and one small one for my brother. Maddies were used , gave to me from a generous angler at a recent west coast shore leauge Competition! Headed to a beach later that night. Tide was dropping and the moon was bright, after 2 hours I ended the session with 3 dogfish and 2 flounder 25cm and 18cm.
Monday 12th june , weather was quite bad but managed to get out for 2.5hours between showers, spinning for mackerel while the brother was busy catching small eels and blennys under the rocks. I had 2 mackerel 3 pollack, biggest 31cm and to my suprise 3 sandeels! , delighted to get a couple of mackerel as theyve been scare in the bay.
Wednesday morning targeted ray before work. Landed 6 thornbacks one of which took the rod of the stand and broke the bottom ring of my rod! Biggest measured 78cm head to tail, and 53cm wingspan. Missed two bites and a fine bullhuss on the way in but spat out the hook at the weed frindge , absolutely sickend!. Crabs were on duty and bait ran out!
- Joe

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks: 2
basilrabbit (Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 pm), kieran (Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:17 pm)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Mayo Areas

Postby joe the junior » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Ballen and ray

Joe, you need to resubmit the photos with the width not bigger than 840 pixels...

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Mayo Areas

Postby Mitzymayo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm heading out for a spot tomorrow I'm from ballinrobe could you recommend any place for a man to go I'm only new to the sea fishing. It would be a great help
Mitzymayo
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports