Carrig Island

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Carrig Island

Postby stonefish » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Headed to Carrig Island with the last of the leftover bait from a couple of weeks back. I was told that it wasn't fishing well but decided to give it a go. Went to the west side of the Island and dug some lug. Started off at low tide with lug, then after an hour switched to mackerel, then tried sand eel to no avail. Only fish ( a three beard Rockling)came with the last gasp cast with two sand eel and a piece of mackerel. It was caught about an hour before high water, I always thought that they were caught at or either side of low water? It ways about 30 cm in length as gauged by measuring my flask later, don't have a scales so I don't know the weight. can specimen fish be gauged by length or must they be weighed as well? Not a great nights fishing but the Rockling saved the blank.
Attachments
Rock 2.jpg
Rock 1.jpg

For this message the author stonefish has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:49 pm)
stonefish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Re: Carrig Island

Postby corbyeire » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:54 pm

certain species can be accepted by length and good quality photos - check specimen committee website - http://irish-trophy-fish.com/
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Re: Carrig Island

Postby stonefish » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks corbyeire I had a look at the sight, it seems to be only shark species that can be accepted from photos. 1.75 lb is the specimen weight, i'll have to get a scales and co looking for the fish again....
stonefish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports