Re: Mackeral fishing Dublin.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi ste, any tips? West or east? Inside our outside harbour? Thanks

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 am

[quote="fourmations"]Hi ste, any tips? West or east? Inside our outside

I was drifting along the mouth to the corner of the east pier was fairly close to shore too

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 am

thanks ste

drifting??...this is shore angling reports! ;)
do you think i would reach them with a rod off the pier?
did you spot anyone getting any off the pier?

cheers

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:20 am

I was on a boat on saturday and was catching them quite close to Coliemore Harbour and near the convent, definitely within casting distance

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:19 pm

fourmations wrote:thanks ste

drifting??...this is shore angling reports! ;)
do you think i would reach them with a rod off the pier?
did you spot anyone getting any off the pier?

cheers

Tuesday Mackerel been caught at East pier especially near lighthouse. I prefer to fish at the bend at low tide lose less gear and fishing is easier.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Off which pier ste c ? Float or feathers?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:04 pm

East pier on feathers, Macks being caught last night

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Last Wednesday in Dun Laoghaire got 175 mackerel in 3.5 hours time. Next two days friend of mine got 2-4 a day...

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Was out in dun laoighre on Sunday. Caught 20 mackeral in 2hrs. Polish and Chinese lads beside me had bags full of them.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Was dossing with the kids on floats inside the pier for mini species the other night and there were shoals of sprats there, the macks were coralling them against the wall and doing flash attacks, was awesome, sprats and macks flying everywhere, like something from a nature program...you could see the sprats getting increasingly agitated then Whack! surface boiling for only a few seconds and then they were gone again, happened three or four times in the hour or so we were there

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:44 pm

havent seen em break water yet here in kinsale , but the weather has been terrible usually see it happening on the nicer days

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 am

Very quiet on the East Pier in Dun Laoghaire last night, only a couple of mackerel caught around me.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Was out in dun laoghaire west pier on Saturday last at dawn, first visit in about 3 years, always think I must be one of the first out there at that time of day however I wasn't, lotta guys there already must of been 50 guys fishing in three different locations along the pier, ''twas a beautiful morning, water was like glass, could see the sprats breaking the water on that long walk out, full of anticipation, lots of mackerel being caught, as far as I could see 90% were very very small.
I went to the end of the pier and had plenty of room on the wall, caught loads of mackerel that were so small ''twas unreal, kept 5 decent sized one for the smoker, smoked mackerel patte is very nice in my opinion, all in all a very enjoyable experience once you escape the resident seals..

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Apparently all those small mackerel about are a sign that the stock is in trouble. We were in north Donegal for the weekend and in total 3 boats had about 30 mackerel between them over 2 days. Lots were small too!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:56 am

Rob Millard wrote:Apparently all those small mackerel about are a sign that the stock is in trouble. We were in north Donegal for the weekend and in total 3 boats had about 30 mackerel between them over 2 days. Lots were small too!

That's a very poor return Rob! I've been fishing mackerel since the mid 1960's and never got any mini-macks until 2008, now they are an annual feature.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Mackeral breaking on Balbriggan back beach,haven't seen a break in Balbriggan for years ,no gear with me though :(

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Are they still about in dunlaoghaire?

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Had a few hours down DL today, nada. saw a bloke with 2/3 that was it between a lot of anglers

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:08 am

Not good so thanks man

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:17 pm

I went out of howth on monday the 25 September, the weather was great calm day, we were out for 3 hours and not one mackeral, a few small whiteing.
The water was very colourd and none of the boat had any mackeral.
Peter