Kilteery Co Limerick

Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Headed in the direction of south west Limerick weds, I was thinking of heading to Glin but ended up on Kilteery pier. Got there at the top of the tide and fished down to low water. Bait was re frozen mack leftover from last week and some peeler which were also last weeks leftovers. First fish came about two hours in, a Dab, only other fish was near the bottom of the tide, a strap conger. Plenty of Harbour Porpoises heading seaward and after dark had a glimpse of something with a silvery appearance in shallow water very close to the pier, reckon it was a Dolphin but couldn't identify what species.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Kilteery Co Limerick

Thu May 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Good to see a report from down that neck of the woods - ive always heard kilteery and that side of the Shannon is best on the rise
your dab looks like a flounder
that pier is meant to throw up some serious species for your hunt!

Fri May 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion and the heads up on the Flounder. Yeah I seen some reports saying an hour each side of low water was the best time. Fresh bait might be a better option too, had a look through the seaweed at low tide but no peeler to be found. Gonna give Carrig island a go next.

Sat May 27, 2017 8:29 am

Well, another to put on the map 8)

Your silvery shadow could have been a large conger twisting and rolling his kill :P

There is an old post here that might help to ID the 3 main species of flatfish

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48713

Mon May 29, 2017 3:21 am

Sound thanks Donal, yeah could have been, there were fish jumping in the water after dark couldn't see them just heard the splashing. Thanks for the link, i'm not great with the species ID