Kerry 20/04/17

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:49 am

Derrymore strand.
Bait. Peeler and lug.
Duration. 1 hour after low tide till 1 hour before high tide. 7pm-11pm

A mate had collected a few peelers so thought we'd head out to Derrymore and try for Ray. Got there about an hour after low tide. Water was flat calm no breeze and sun baking down. As tends to happen at times missed the first bite which was three sharp nods on the rod tip while i was getting something from the tackle box. First fish came about a half an hour later, a fresh water eel. One of the lads then had a bass on lug. Next fish was a cuckoo wrasse on peeler and last fish was another schoolie. Happy enough with the few hours as it was my first bass and cuckoo wrasse. Good to get out again after a fairly long break from fishing, Hoping the next trip might throw up some Ray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Kerry 20/04/17

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am

Quite an interesting mix of species even if you didn't manage your target. That's a Corkwing wrasse by the way, unusual for a strand or were you fishing near rocky patches? Nice session.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:31 am

that looks more like a corkwing than a cuckoo wrasse. still an unusual catch off the beach, well done

Tue May 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Yeah there were some rocks either side of the spot we were fishing. Wasn't expecting a Wrasse of any sort I caught Ballan of the rocks at Sutton and Howth in the past. Good to know it's a Corkwing. Thanks lads.

Wed May 03, 2017 8:44 am

The corkwing has what look like a small gill before the main gill. Run your finger inside it and it will feel serrated. It's the only wrasse with this kind of ID.
corkwing wrasse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.