Sligo

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Sligo

Postby joe the junior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Hit a beach mark last night to see if anything was stirring in the surf, the tide was dropping rapidly with a full moon present. 3 hook flappers baited with mackerel strips hit the water at about 9oclock. Last time here I had specimen flounder 2 over the 40cm mark but that was a couple of months ago! About 40mins in I had my first rattle of a 23cm flounder ... Shortly after was followed by a 16cm coalie. Some time passed and an odd fish was making an appearance,another 23cm flounder and an even smaller coalie. It was coming up to half 11 and I decided to put one rod away. This had a 22cm coalie on it. Eveything cleaned and put away I lifted into the second rod for final retrive. The line was slack and as I pulled there was a lazy knock or two. The fish was swimming with me but there was still weight present. Finally I seen a fish In the surf moving slowly side to side. At first glance I thought it was a doggy, I was wrong..., as I went to grab him from the surf he took of like a bullet, about to break line I had to give him some, and played with him for two almighty runs , trashing in the water I carefully and slowly beached him with the help of the surf. A chunky fish of 56cm. Identification has me abit puzzled tho. I caught a fair share of sea trout but is it a salmon? I dont mind,lovely fish all the same, thoughts? After a lenghtly revival in a rock pool he happily made his way back again!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks:
kieran (Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:10 pm)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Sligo

Postby joe the junior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks:
corbyeire (Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:11 pm)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Postby kieran » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:10 pm

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/1253d52a428feec48ee131243bf7c224.jpg

Judging by the wrist on the tail, which does not expand as it should with a salmon, hard to tell with the photos but my vote is for a sea trout.

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
joe the junior (Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby keymcg » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Tail and mouth look like a trout to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks:
joe the junior (Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 pm)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby joe the junior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Cheers lads , ill take a big trout over a small salmon [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT] just the bottom lip being curved had me wondering was it a male salmon!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Postby johnwest » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:58 pm

Nice fish whatever it is!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks:
joe the junior (Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:53 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby stevief54 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:49 pm

nice fish well done

For this message the author stevief54 has received thanks:
joe the junior (Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:39 pm)
stevief54
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 35 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports