Friday past

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:19 pm

Last Friday night while the weather was mild I decided to hit the same pier again in the chance of an early season Ray. First cast double coalie, distance rod brought in a doggie, more double coalies until I hooked into something that pulled back. While I was playing the fish, turned out to be a 7lb thornback ray, I noticed my line was getting shredded I had a broken ring on the rod. So good thing I packed a second rod, set it up and proceed to catch another doggie followed by a decent coalie of around a pound, the wee rod was getting hit by pin coalies, stripping baits and hooking the odd one. As the third hour came around the big rod gave a tremble, then a pull down, lift strike and something heavy pulls back. After a nice fight as the Ray kites in the tide a few times before giving up, nice and thick pulls the scale to 8lb. Out of the sling and back in the sea, rebait in the hope of a bigger one. No such luck another dog then a small Ray before the crabs came on the feed. That's was the first 4 hour of the flood, packed up the tide was full of weed and ripping the lead loose. Not a bad night and a few nice Ray to start my tally off, maybe this could be my year for a double figure ray.

Re: Friday past

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Nice going MC, a couple of fine early rays. I'm getting fed up just "Scraping"!

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Good result on the rays MC.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks lads, being able to cast far really helped

Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Well done. What type of rig, hook sizes and bait were you using to target the rays?

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 pm

EddieK wrote:Well done. What type of rig, hook sizes and bait were you using to target the rays?

Hiya lad, I was using 3/0 manta hook on a pulley rig, bait was double sandeel

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Thank's for that. I know what to do now with those frozen sandeels I have.