Wexford 3 day marathon

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:46 pm

So - Finally my world has sorted itself out and im back on the hunt! Monday - thursday 3 night fish frenzy!

Monday, arrived at the mark - I knew from the weather reports I wouldnt get much done - very rough beach with a 25mph wind in my face, feck it, I was allready at the mark i'll have a go - that lasted about 20mins - head to the mobile for a few cans and wait out the storm and figure out the important details.

Windfinder had assured me tuesday and wednesday nights would be very fishable, so I proceeded to rig up, purchase way more bait than needed and get set up and sorted - High tide was at 9:30 and the winds would drop to a nice 10mph from 6pm. I find windfinder excellent in this regard, exactly as it said on the tin, I was set up from 5pm to fish the rise and a few hrs of the drop. the winds had created a nice chop on the water and it was very cloudy, but no rain. Temperatures rose a little and I was able to take off the lagging jacket and have a bit more movement. Lovely.

Target species was Cod - I have caught one codling off this beach in 2 years but never really targeted them nor winter fished so I was giving it a good try.

About 9pm, the 1st codling arrived on rag/mack combo, about a lb - lovely healthy little fish, swam off strong.

About an hr later I had a good series of pulls on the rod - Better cod came to shore without much fuss. Up to 4lb - I was very pleased with this - cracking fish for my first proper Cod session.

little else happened after that and as the tide turned the waters calmed and the feeling of hope for more dwindled - back to base for a hot meal and a drink with a few tunes.

Wednesday I had the excitement of a 6yr old on christmas, I was hitting my target species and conditions were good - I was exceptionally optimistic!

I set up at 3pm :D and immediately regretted it - Weed weed weed - I knew this beforehand however - but when you want to go you go! Common sense doesnt win the heart!
Luckily the beach is 100m from the mobile and private, so I cleaned up and left the gear ready to go to save taking down and setting up again - checked the beach every 1/2 hr but no one to be seen for miles!

So after the change in tides I went back about 5pm and got going - no weed - perfect. It was colder than tue night but still lovely, the sea had calmed a little more creating near flat calm conditions, which wasnt perfect, but not bad, However the moon was to be an issue - it rose from the water around 9:30 and it might as well have been 12noon - big bright ball over the beach, I feel this was not drawing the fish inshore, cloud cover and a chop like the night before would have been dreamy but it was not happening.

So I proceeded to pick up whiting, dabs, flounder and rockling till about midnight - I stayed well over time but was so hopeful after the night before, 1 last cast happened every 20 minutes :D

Still, Very happy with my night, Learned a lot I feel and was happy to be back at it.

Roll on march till I can go again :D

Re: Wexford 3 day marathon

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Nice one Ardinn

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Fine cod. Well done 8)

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 pm

nice cod they are coming back.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:04 pm

nice codling well done

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm

I realise I am throwing it at the camera but it was so foggy out all I was getting was grey images - Thats my excuse anyway and im sticking to it!