Wexford 3 day marathon

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Wexford 3 day marathon

Postby ardinn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:46 pm

So - Finally my world has sorted itself out and im back on the hunt! Monday - thursday 3 night fish frenzy!

Monday, arrived at the mark - I knew from the weather reports I wouldnt get much done - very rough beach with a 25mph wind in my face, feck it, I was allready at the mark i'll have a go - that lasted about 20mins - head to the mobile for a few cans and wait out the storm and figure out the important details.

Windfinder had assured me tuesday and wednesday nights would be very fishable, so I proceeded to rig up, purchase way more bait than needed and get set up and sorted - High tide was at 9:30 and the winds would drop to a nice 10mph from 6pm. I find windfinder excellent in this regard, exactly as it said on the tin, I was set up from 5pm to fish the rise and a few hrs of the drop. the winds had created a nice chop on the water and it was very cloudy, but no rain. Temperatures rose a little and I was able to take off the lagging jacket and have a bit more movement. Lovely.

Target species was Cod - I have caught one codling off this beach in 2 years but never really targeted them nor winter fished so I was giving it a good try.

About 9pm, the 1st codling arrived on rag/mack combo, about a lb - lovely healthy little fish, swam off strong.

About an hr later I had a good series of pulls on the rod - Better cod came to shore without much fuss. Up to 4lb - I was very pleased with this - cracking fish for my first proper Cod session.

little else happened after that and as the tide turned the waters calmed and the feeling of hope for more dwindled - back to base for a hot meal and a drink with a few tunes.

Wednesday I had the excitement of a 6yr old on christmas, I was hitting my target species and conditions were good - I was exceptionally optimistic!

I set up at 3pm :D and immediately regretted it - Weed weed weed - I knew this beforehand however - but when you want to go you go! Common sense doesnt win the heart!
Luckily the beach is 100m from the mobile and private, so I cleaned up and left the gear ready to go to save taking down and setting up again - checked the beach every 1/2 hr but no one to be seen for miles!

So after the change in tides I went back about 5pm and got going - no weed - perfect. It was colder than tue night but still lovely, the sea had calmed a little more creating near flat calm conditions, which wasnt perfect, but not bad, However the moon was to be an issue - it rose from the water around 9:30 and it might as well have been 12noon - big bright ball over the beach, I feel this was not drawing the fish inshore, cloud cover and a chop like the night before would have been dreamy but it was not happening.

So I proceeded to pick up whiting, dabs, flounder and rockling till about midnight - I stayed well over time but was so hopeful after the night before, 1 last cast happened every 20 minutes :D

Still, Very happy with my night, Learned a lot I feel and was happy to be back at it.

Roll on march till I can go again :D

For this message the author ardinn has received thanks:
basilrabbit (Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 pm)
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Re: Wexford 3 day marathon

Postby Rob Millard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Nice one Ardinn
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chuckaroo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Fine cod. Well done 8)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby basilrabbit » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 pm

nice cod they are coming back.
basilrabbit
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby stevief54 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:04 pm

nice codling well done
stevief54
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 35 times

Postby ardinn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm

I realise I am throwing it at the camera but it was so foggy out all I was getting was grey images - Thats my excuse anyway and im sticking to it!
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports