Sligo mark

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 am

Hit a pier mark to see what was about for the evening, fished 7.30-10.30 on an incoming tide. Mackerel for bait.
On arival to the mark I could see many small coalies dancing at the bottom of the pier, glistening by the light of the headlamp. Threw out 2 rods both with 3 hook flappers. Took awhile but the whiting came on the feed. Quiet good size again, average size of 27cm. Managed to get afew nicer ones with the biggest 35cm. At one point during the night I hit a big bite. It started running taking line and the rod was bending nearly 90 degrees suddenly it dropped the bait, or so I thought... When I brought in my gear I had a whiting hooked about 22cm In lenght. Had aftew punctures and teeth marks around its body and was dead. The one that got away lads... Perhaps a seal or otter not too sure... Bit early for other guesses I thought to myself ,although it is mild... Belly contents of afew whiting were sandeel.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Re: Sligo mark

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:15 am

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am

Good man Joe, nice wee report. Always a bit of excitement when something runs like that.
And hard to beat a bit of fresh whiting 8)

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 pm

joe the junior wrote:Hit a pier mark to see what was about for the evening, fished 7.30-10.30 on an incoming tide. Mackerel for bait.
On arival to the mark I could see many small coalies dancing at the bottom of the pier, glistening by the light of the headlamp. Threw out 2 rods both with 3 hook flappers. Took awhile but the whiting came on the feed. Quiet good size again, average size of 27cm. Managed to get afew nicer ones with the biggest 35cm. At one point during the night I hit a big bite. It started running taking line and the rod was bending nearly 90 degrees suddenly it dropped the bait, or so I thought... When I brought in my gear I had a whiting hooked about 22cm In lenght. Had aftew punctures and teeth marks around its body and was dead. The one that got away lads... Perhaps a seal or otter not too sure... Bit early for other guesses I thought to myself ,although it is mild... Belly contents of afew whiting were sandeel.

Still doing well on the whiting joe fair play... Ah those mystery runs. Id say it was some sort of fish.. Bit early to be anything sharky? But you never know...