Sligo mark

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Sligo mark

Postby joe the junior » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 am

Hit a pier mark to see what was about for the evening, fished 7.30-10.30 on an incoming tide. Mackerel for bait.
On arival to the mark I could see many small coalies dancing at the bottom of the pier, glistening by the light of the headlamp. Threw out 2 rods both with 3 hook flappers. Took awhile but the whiting came on the feed. Quiet good size again, average size of 27cm. Managed to get afew nicer ones with the biggest 35cm. At one point during the night I hit a big bite. It started running taking line and the rod was bending nearly 90 degrees suddenly it dropped the bait, or so I thought... When I brought in my gear I had a whiting hooked about 22cm In lenght. Had aftew punctures and teeth marks around its body and was dead. The one that got away lads... Perhaps a seal or otter not too sure... Bit early for other guesses I thought to myself ,although it is mild... Belly contents of afew whiting were sandeel.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks: 2
basilrabbit (Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 pm), corbyeire (Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:17 pm)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Sligo mark

Postby joe the junior » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:15 am

Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am

Good man Joe, nice wee report. Always a bit of excitement when something runs like that.
And hard to beat a bit of fresh whiting 8)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
joe the junior (Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:42 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby seank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 pm

joe the junior wrote:Hit a pier mark to see what was about for the evening, fished 7.30-10.30 on an incoming tide. Mackerel for bait.
On arival to the mark I could see many small coalies dancing at the bottom of the pier, glistening by the light of the headlamp. Threw out 2 rods both with 3 hook flappers. Took awhile but the whiting came on the feed. Quiet good size again, average size of 27cm. Managed to get afew nicer ones with the biggest 35cm. At one point during the night I hit a big bite. It started running taking line and the rod was bending nearly 90 degrees suddenly it dropped the bait, or so I thought... When I brought in my gear I had a whiting hooked about 22cm In lenght. Had aftew punctures and teeth marks around its body and was dead. The one that got away lads... Perhaps a seal or otter not too sure... Bit early for other guesses I thought to myself ,although it is mild... Belly contents of afew whiting were sandeel.

Still doing well on the whiting joe fair play... Ah those mystery runs. Id say it was some sort of fish.. Bit early to be anything sharky? But you never know...
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate

For this message the author seank has received thanks:
joe the junior (Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:30 pm)
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports