Winter North Coast Shore

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Winter North Coast Shore

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:35 pm

So it was time to work off some of the Xmas indulgences, to head north for the first time of the new year and wet a line. Confirmation came through from johnwest and a plan was hatched for bank holiday Monday, 2nd January.

The forecast on the Saturday gave our intended mark to have a clear day with low southerly winds, but by the time Monday actually came round this had changed. We arrived at the planned venue to find that the wind had moved into the northwest and so would to be blowing up the beach into our faces, there would have been nowhere to hide. It was fresher than anticipated, bitter, so we decided not to take the long walk to the mark andf opted for another mark where we would at least be closer to the car.

We arrived at plan-B mark at about 1pm and got set up, the wind was fresh here too but it was manageable. Low and behold, johnwest caught a crackin flounder straight away, he wasn't hanging about! :lol: He was chuffed, a 39cm flounder was certainly a welcome early 'result', it wouldn't matter now so much whether the bass turned up or not; well, sort of..
Unfortunately though, and despite the good spirits resulting from the catching of the nice flounder, the fishing didn't get any better as the day progressed; hope and will gradually faded. I actually blanked :roll: and johnwest didn't catch another fish until his last cast - a reasonable whiting. After 5 hours or so we decided that enough was enough, it was getting cold and the bass just didn't seem interested in making themselves known.. yet again

In hindsight, the conditions actually improved somewhat during the day and of course I (we) now wish that we had made the effort to get onto the first mark - it just has some deeper water, more features, and offers more potential I guess. Ah well, "next time"..

The flounder and whiting went down very well for my dinner this evening.. thanks JW.

Happy New Year
Attachments
P1020953.JPG
last cast with the wee long-serving Wychwood reel :(
P1022067.JPG
P1022064.JPG
39cm flounder. Crackin fish. Happy man :)
P1022066.JPG
Paddy takes time out to make a sandwich lol
P1020950.JPG
Start 'em young for the North West 200 :))
Last edited by chuckaroo on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
kieran (Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:18 am)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Re: Winter North Coast Shore

Postby johnwest » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Just about sums up the day. I must admit I was a bit deflated when the flounder failed to make the 40cm, it's the 3rd at 39cm I've had in the last couple of years; can't break through that barrier. Chuckaroo had sandeel, razor, frozen black lug and some fresh rag; I stopped off on the way to buy some Lidl mackerel fillets so I wouldn't be a complete bait scrounger. As it happens, both fish caught dined a la Lidl. Bad news about the demise of the Wychwood reel which would really need replacing now. Hope you enjoyed your supper more than I enjoyed that sandwich I was preparing!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby rushnaldo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 am

Nice report lads well done for trying for the silver. Some nice fish too and nice to get out. Hard to beat the mackerel bait ☺

For this message the author rushnaldo has received thanks:
johnwest (Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:03 pm)
rushnaldo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby chuckaroo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:24 pm

johnwest wrote:I must admit I was a bit deflated when the flounder failed to make the 40cm

Lol. You must fish more Paddy
Still a crackin fish..
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby nemo2 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:04 am

Hi guys good reports always good to get out and try also fished Antrim coast also winds were not good I stuck to few rock marks 2 dabs and 4 coalies the coalies were the biggest fish of the day was fishing lug squid peeler crabs was hoping for codling or the silver bar.

For this message the author nemo2 has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:32 pm)
nemo2
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports