Ballycotton Pier 15-Dec-16

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Ballycotton Pier 15-Dec-16

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:54 am

I hadn't been sea fishing in a good while and I had yesterday evening free, so I said I was going fishing, come hell or high water. As it turned out that wasn't far from the case.
With the big tides I wanted to fish one of the beaches in darkness, but the forecast of fairly strong winds and rain meant that a bit of shelter was needed, so I headed to Ballycotton.

When I got there, there was quite a big sea running due to a strong westerly wind. It was pouring rain too.

Got the first rod out baited with black lug on a 3/0 pulley pennel in the hope of a cod. After a while I got together the second rod with a size 1 two hook flapper and baited it with crab and mackerel. I just give this a lob twenty yards off the pier wall. Both rod tips were bouncing a lot with the wind so spotting bites would be difficult

The weather was only getting worse and worse at this point. I decided to double down on the bigger rod and put out a really big bait- in the big sea that was running I reckoned the only hope I had was to put out something that would give a big scent trail. I put together a lug sausage of 4 lug whipped together plus half a crab and mounted the whole lot on the pennel and out it went.

I had only just put out this bait when the near rod gave a few strong unmistakable rattles. This resulted in a small strap conger which had taken the mackerel bait- about a meter long. Blank saved and my first shore conger, which I was happy with.
The weather was truly desperate now so I packed up. Upon reeling in the big bait of course there was a little whiting on it. They have a great knack of getting their mouths around baits bigger than themselves.

Of course it's a grand day out there now, but some of us have to work!

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Ballycotton Pier 15-Dec-16

Postby Paddy002 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:00 pm

At least you got to get out for a few hours!

I have the "hell or high water" attitude about tomorrow morning.. kayaks getting packed up this evening and hoping to be gone as soon as it gets bright!
2019 Species:
Codling, Whiting

2017 Species:
Mackerel, Dog Fish, Whiting, 3 bearded rockling

2016 Species:
Pouting, Cod, Coalfish, LSD, macks, pollock, dogfish, Bass, Eel, Garfish, Ling, conger, yellow fin tuna, Skipjack Tuna, parrot fish, Trigger fish, Scad, Conger, whiting

2015 species:
Codling, sea bass, mack's, flounder, Dab, three bearded rockling, coalfish, dog fish, bull huss, ballen wrasse, Pollock, European eel, cuckoo wrasse, ling, conger,scorpion fish, cod, pouting, blue shark, whiting
Paddy002
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 48 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports