Donegal Bass, 30th October 2016

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Donegal Bass, 30th October 2016

Postby johnwest » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:28 pm

With the good weather continuing, the opportunity was there to head north again to fish the “right” beach. The Bro came with me and we met Chuckaroo as arranged for a three pronged attack. Coming through the dunes, we could see one area which had a bit of surf running, the rest of the beach looked a lot quieter. First cast unfortunately resulted in a mound of weed to the Bro’s rod and while sorting that out we could see the other rods succumbing to the same problem; no choice but to move along the beach to cleaner but quieter water. Chuckaroo opened the scoring with a 25cm flounder almost immediately and the Bro added a small turbot shortly after. I eventually opened my account with a 26cm flounder and then Chuckaroo had a really good rod rattling bite which unfortunately failed to connect. He then had a major tackle malfunction; his rod snapped just above the reel fitting. He returned to his car to fetch a replacement but he was now fishing with two light rods restricting him to short range fishing. Meanwhile, I got a good bite on the distance rod, fish on! I knew this was no flattie unless it was a turbo on steroids; the fish darted to and fro in the surf and in came a nice seatrout pushing the scales round to 2lb 3oz. It was carrying quite a few lice on its head, even one on the eye, and more along the belly near the tail. I always wonder whether you should remove these before releasing the fish or do you more harm than good, I certainly flicked off the one on its eye. The weed seemed to be following us along the beach as the tide started to flood so Chuckaroo wandered off to try a few casts off some rocks at the end of the beach while the Bro and myself tried to stay one cast ahead of the weed. The bites had really dried up by now but to break the lull in activity, a pod of dolphins put on a brief display of acrobatics out in the bay. Chuckaroo returned to report that it was very weedy where he had tried and following a discussion of tactics, we headed well up the beach ahead of the advancing weed to get a long period of weed free fishing. The Bro managed another even smaller turbot and I had a double of small flounder. By now the light was starting to fade and Chuckaroo responded with the first coalie. A while later I had a double of coalfish and pin whiting, (difficult to spot in the pic without Chuckaroo’s assistance!). The Bro and Chuckaroo had work to go to in the morning, however I had to lie in so with lengthy drives ahead, we packed up for home.

Oh yeah, the Bro got the bass, a small one but a bass nonetheless and his first. He comes in my car, he borrows my tackle, he uses my bait, he catches the bass. Anyone out there got some sour grapes going spare?
Attachments
1.JPG
Lousy seatrout
2.JPG
Double of small flounder
3.JPG
Smaller of Bro's turbot
4.JPG
Chuckaroo points the finger
5.JPG
Bro's first bass
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks: 3
basilrabbit (Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:37 pm), corbyeire (Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:00 pm), MC (Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:14 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Re: Donegal Bass, 30th October 2016

Postby corbyeire » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:01 pm

great report as ever - wish I was retired and able to get all the fishing you do done

the bass fell to what bait in the end?

thanks

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
shortcircuit (Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Sweetwrasse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:37 pm

Lovely fishing and another top report!
It ain't easy but it sure is simple!
Sweetwrasse
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 217 times

Postby MC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:15 pm

A Donegal bass, have seen a few landed but I am still unable to succeed in getting one up north
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:38 pm

I have tried countless times to get a north coast bass. Albeit a little schoolie, I wasn't impressed lol
Super beach and scenery..
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby rushnaldo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:37 pm

Unreal. A donegal bass, would be a dream come true well done. Very jealous ☺
rushnaldo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby hugo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:03 am

The Bro is welcome to his little oul' bass - that lovely seatrout tops everything! :D
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby johnwest » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:38 pm

corbyeire wrote:great report as ever - wish I was retired and able to get all the fishing you do done

the bass fell to what bait in the end?

thanks

The bass took mackerel strip on a size 4 two hook flapper. Wish for early retirement, you don't want to wish away too much of your life!

Sweetwrasse wrote:Lovely fishing and another top report!
Thanks Sweetwrasse, to be honest we would have liked a few more flatties, there were long periods of inactivity but certainly, a nice mix of species.

MC wrote:A Donegal bass, have seen a few landed but I am still unable to succeed in getting one up north
Exactly my predicament but I've a lot further to travel.

rushnaldo wrote:Unreal. A donegal bass, would be a dream come true well done. Very jealous ☺
Almost every Donegal beach I have fished claims to "throw up an occasional bass" but this is the first I've ever seen.

hugo wrote:The Bro is welcome to his little oul' bass - that lovely seatrout tops everything! :D

Ah now Hugo, I think that's the oul' stomach talking.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks:
corbyeire (Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:18 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Tanglerat » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:51 pm

I've always claimed that one Donegal Bass is worth a hundred south coast Bass.

At least. :) It's a very small club of anglers that can claim one.

That's a cracking ST, btw. Get him on a light lure rod in a stream of river flow and you'd have a screamer on your hands!
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby johnwest » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Tanglerat wrote:I've always claimed that one Donegal Bass is worth a hundred south coast Bass.

At least. :) It's a very small club of anglers that can claim one.

That's a cracking ST, btw. Get him on a light lure rod in a stream of river flow and you'd have a screamer on your hands!

Those odds sound about right, as for the sea trout on a light lure rod, I'm thinking about my #4 river fly rod!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports