Around clonakilty

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Around clonakilty

Postby corbyeire » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00 pm

had planned to do a bit of spinning for a few spikey fellas, but with the weather so good I was working long days so it was always dark before I got out

I gave dunworly a go on the back of a spring - it was filling fast - had a couple of flounders round 30 cm and then my first schoolie of the year - not even 30 cm, says it all

had another couple of flounders and then dead - kept noticing weight on but it was dropping off - though it was crabs - but eventually on the top of the water in comes a dog only 20m out, on a size 6 with maddies - happy enough

2 weeks after I had some frozen crab and headed down onto inchydoney - I tried the dunmoran side spinning for an hour weeks before it was full of weed, so was happy to see no weed, top of the tide and out with the crab baits - not a sausage

it stripped off quiet quickly to reveal a massive sand bar that the fish were not going to get stranded on - gave the few breakers another 2 hrs, still nothing

the night after down onto ring pier - seems theres a few piers round there, I stuck to the most modern looking one - nice rip on the rise but no ball of weed - it was full of crabs though - hitting and dragging the baits into crevices

got to the top of the water, nice and still, and thought maybe more chance of bite but still nothing

anyways nice part of the country to be out in and the weather was really good for this time of year

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
kieran (Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:15 am)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Re: Around clonakilty

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:29 pm

you did better than I did Brian. I was on a beach on the complete opposite end of the country for a few hours yesterday, i would have settled for a schoolie. nice day, nice fat blank
corbyeire wrote:..but with the weather so good I was working long days so it was always dark before I got out

i don't understand this bit. surely this is a reason to stop early and get fishing! ;))
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:16 pm

I work outdoors....;)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby kieran » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:14 am

Hi C

nice to see a schoolie, pity you didn't connect with the adults - can be an odd time of year, hope to get out one of these chilly nights myself... might try a beach in Clare for old times sake, will be down that way next week...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby corbyeire » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:42 am

the shore marks on SAI say most venues are lw, but what can you do with the timing and work

throw us a pm if you make it down south next week
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby cachalot » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 am

Try Red Strand to the west of Clonakilty or the eastern end of Long Strand again west of Clonakilty,.

For this message the author cachalot has received thanks:
corbyeire (Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:09 pm)
cachalot
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby johnwest » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:22 pm

[quote="corbyeire"]the shore marks on SAI say most venues are lw, but what can you do with the timing and work
Sometimes you just have to take what you get! I'm in Clonakilty every year in July or August but I've never tried Dunworly, must see to that next year, had bass to 5.5lbs at Long Strand as recommended by cachalot on crab, lug.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks:
corbyeire (Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:24 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports