Blackhead Co.Clare 24th September 2016

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:45 am

Blackhead , just to left of lighthouse
2 hrs before high tide to 2hrs after
Weather was perfect, little breezy.
Bait was mackerel and hard back crabs
Result 6 pollack and my first ever wrasse

I've been thinking about more than trying to catch a wrasse for awhile now. Watching videos about set up and bait etc but I made a real effort this weekend. I've never dug bait before and have no idea where to get ragworm as I'm living in North Cork so the closest bit of salt water to me is actually Foynes. I heard that wrasse do enjoy the odd 2 euro size hardback crab and from fishing in Foynes I know there is plenty down there so I drove the nearly 2hr return trip Friday night to collect some.
Friday night down this way was atrocious, bascially a storm and wasn't much better at 8am Saturday. My missus was even pleading with me to stay away from the sea, I said feck that and legged it out the door. 2hrs later we were at Blackhead and the weather was perfect. Overcast and a little breezy. I just love float fishing so set up and within 20 mins had a 4 pound pollack, delighted. Caught another 2lb pollack and 2 more maybe around the pound mark. My friend got a few tiddlers and lost three 1 pound ish fish on the wind up the rocks.
Happy enough with the pollack I decided to try for a wrasse. I'd been told by the local tackle shop in fanore that south of the shop was better for wrasse but I said it was worth a try anyway as I had made the effort to get crabs. Rigged up a rotten bottom rig with a nut as a weight tied with a slip knot as the bottom here is very foul. Tried a few crabs and struggled to hook the little suckers on a bit. Dropped straight down beneath me and got a few nibbles and eventually a big hit. Excited is an understatement as I knew it could only be a wrasse on the hardback. Eventually got him up and have to say what a cool looking fish. This one fish made my year so far. Didn't get out much this year and had watched more fishing vids than had done any actual fishing. Can't wait to go again and catch a few more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Blackhead Co.Clare 24th September 2016

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am

Well done. What a nice wrasse, and a fine pollack to boot! Nice fishing

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:49 pm

That's a fine fish for your first wrasse, beautiful colour too. You've set a high bar for your next trip! I love floatfishing for them, I used to do a lot of coarse fishing and always enjoyed the sight of a float dipping out of sight. As for fishing vids, doing sure beats watching.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:21 am

very nice start to your wrasse fishing. Well done.

Hardbacks can be a bugger to keep on the hook. Cut up a large elastic band into small 1cm strips. Put one on past the barb after you have secured your hardback - works a treat... wrasse can still suck/nibble them off but you get an extra few seconds on the bite...

Kieran

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi Kran1230 I gave up using hard back's losing too many fish switched to limpets easier to keep on hook's and wrasse devour them

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 pm

nice fishing well done