Spanish Armada, Mulranny, Mayo 24.8.2016

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Spanish Armada, Mulranny, Mayo 24.8.2016

Postby kieran » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:10 am

Myself and the two lads headed off and dug 30 lug on the way (hard work, really need to time it better, was right at the point of low water, worms were very far down) and ended up dropping down the cliff to the last set of marks around 4:30. HW was due around 10 pm if I recall...

First rod out, handed it to Cathal, told him to fish the gully (mack strip) and set about the second rod. "I'm in" he shouts seconds later and sure enough a 1 lb Pollack arrives up. Knocked on the head as he like eating his catch. Second rod out and I told Eoin to fish the boils off the right as I rebaited Cathal's rod. Was working on my own lure rod when Eoin shouts and up comes a mirror image of the first. Jaysus I thought we could be in for some session, given this is only low water!

Nothing for three hours.... finally landed a 7 lb conger, which was fun given it took a float fished lugworm on my spinning rod. Buggers are SO strong... thought I had a new record wrasse. :mrgreen: Actually we never landed a wrasse. Lots of loose weed, nasty chop on the water and strong wind behind it. Lots of sand in it too...

Eventually Eoin pulled in a Pollack the size of a "goldfish", per Cathal, which was accurate. How it fitted on the hook was beyond all of us. Decided with light beginning to fade to try distance again, and ripped out triple cocktail baits on a gripper. Finally pulled in a decent Pollack around 9 pm - 1.5 lbs in old money - and then brought in a small 3 bearded rockling on the other distance rod. Surprised we got nothing out over the sand. No crabs either. Very odd. No gulls or gannets, not a sniff of a mack...

Still, beautiful day to be out, could see Mweelreas and Clare Island and top of Croagh Patrick, lovely spot, just shame the fishing was so spotty.

Pics to follow...

Kieran

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 4
corbyeire (Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:25 pm), del04 (Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:51 pm), jd (Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:13 pm), nicefish (Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:23 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports