Not a secert mark in the swilly

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Not a secert mark in the swilly

Postby MC » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:31 pm

evening folks, the day after I turned 40 I had the day off work and a fishing pass. So loaded up with bait I heading to a secret mark given to me by a good mate. Once I found it the fact it wasn't a secert anymore was obvious. The grass verge where tourists park to take photos was the start of the walk, the path to the mark was easy to see as it was well worn. The ferns had rig wrappers in them, the hill was worn and muddy in places and the rocks had line and hooks on them, I lifted it up and proceeded to fish. Set up a conger rod and chucked out a mackerel flapper, then set up a pulley rig and double sandeel and chucked out to distance to find the clean ground. Trying spinning while waiting and waiting, eventually the ratchet on the conger rod went, so I lifted the rod tightened down and waited on the second run, the conger moved off and I struck, only to fall on my arse as the main line parted, cut on the sharp rocks. The distance rod rig was lost too, I guess 30lb and 18lb mono wasn't enough to take on the real rough ground, after losing several sets of end gear I landed a lsd, black beat and no more weights left I spent the rest of the day with the lure rod and float rod. Got nothing spinning but the float was landing small coalies, 6 of them, a wee wrasse and a blenny, how it managed to get a 2/0 hook in its gob I never know. With light falling I packed up a much lighter box and headed for home
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Re: Not a secert mark in the swilly

Postby johnwest » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:52 pm

Perhaps the secret is how to fish it successfully!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Re: Not a secert mark in the swilly

Postby MC » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:49 pm

johnwest wrote:Perhaps the secret is how to fish it successfully!

Interesting, no doubt I will be back at a different tide and different weather just to be sure
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports