Donegal Bay - 8th - 13th July 2016

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Donegal Bay - 8th - 13th July 2016

Postby Mickydoodles » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:46 pm

Great Weekend spent fishing in Donegal Bay.

Types: Spinning , Beach and Float fishing

6 days of V.Highs and V.Lows . Spent the 6 days trying a combination of new marks and old marks along Donegal Bay.It went From having a fish on both rods and constant bites to not even getting a bite for 7 hours (after a 1 or 2 mile walk to the spot) but you keep reminding yourself that "That's Fishing for Ya". Some good new marks have been spotted and noted on the Sat Nav for a session in the coming weeks.

Highlight of the trip was finally landing a Ray which I have been hunting for a long time without going to the known marks. A couple of hours after high tide, when I hadn't had a bite for 2/3 hours off course is the time that the ray made an appearance. Truly got the fishing trilogy reminder Patience , luck and perseverance paid off in the end. Caught the ray using Mackerel caught at St.Johns the previous week tipped with squid.

Also previous day to the ray I caught my personal best Pollack 3/4lb a couple hours after high tide very close to the shore on slow retrieve.

Please view the link below for a collection of quick snap photos from the trip, I don't like using the interface on the site and clogging up the page.
https://sway.com/m7GCKAG3b6FiTVZq
Mickydoodles
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Re: Donegal Bay - 8th - 13th July 2016

Postby Rob Millard » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:41 pm

Pretty Ray, looks like a Homelyn from the picture. Well done!
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby johnwest » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Nice little spotted/homelyn ray there. That starfish, I got one of those recently and from the same place, never got one like that before.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby Mickydoodles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Cheers for the comments folks.

My brother must have caught 4-5 Star fish over the weekend. Didn't think they where bait nibblers. We tapped onto two rays that day but unfortunately that camera battery died for a photo.

Bass is next on the hunt :)
Mickydoodles
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports