Postby Teegerstk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Who: Me and the da
Tide: incoming
Weather: Overcast
Wind: What ever direction brings in weed
Bait: Lug Mac
Rig: One up one down
Result: B L A N K
Headed down to Fethard pier just to wet a line, hoping to pick up a small flattie or two. Nothing. Feathered for a bit just in case there might be a stray early mack. Nothing.
Headed up the coast to the beach about a mile from the mouth of Bannow. Currents, and weed. Pulled my rod off the tripod, which fell down and eventually broke. Gonna have to get myself an Ian Golds rod rest. Wind was blowing strong from the south, I learned my lesson, Clumps of weed, the sh*t was everywhere. I reeled in my rod which had a dead weight on it which turned out to be a f#$&ing massive pile of weed that had completely eaten up my rig.
No fish.
Me da's new rod snapped while packing the stuff back into the car, he just bought it this morning.
Went home grumpy, a nice warm dinner was a welcome sight.
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab

For this message the author Teegerstk has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:35 pm), Sweetwrasse (Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:46 pm)
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Wexford 21-6-16

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:24 pm

One of "those" sessions. There is nothing more dispiriting than weed.
I had one of those sessions last year where nothing went right. Good tides good location.

Arrived, wind a lot stronger than forecast, very messy. One wave came over the top of my waders and soaked me. Clarity not great.
Was using my new lure rod only for the second time. Lovely rod. At one stage slipped on wet weedy rocks, opened up a big gash on my hand.

Plugged on. nothing doing. On the way back to the car over the rocks slipped again. I mean comedy-film completely upended and landed with a huge thump like that fella on the news who slipped on the ice
Landed on the new rod. Snap. Went home feeling pretty sorry for myself, I can tell you.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:32 pm

shortcircuit wrote:One of "those" sessions. There is nothing more dispiriting than weed.
I had one of those sessions last year where nothing went right. Good tides good location.

Arrived, wind a lot stronger than forecast, very messy. One wave came over the top of my waders and soaked me. Clarity not great.
Was using my new lure rod only for the second time. Lovely rod. At one stage slipped on wet weedy rocks, opened up a big gash on my hand.

Plugged on. nothing doing. On the way back to the car over the rocks slipped again. I mean comedy-film completely upended and landed with a huge thump like that fella on the news who slipped on the ice
Landed on the new rod. Snap. Went home feeling pretty sorry for myself, I can tell you.

Sometimes you just can't escape it! Looking back on it now, I have to laugh, my dad got snagged in weed so I help him out, I turn around to find my rod rest collapsed, rod on the ground and my new reel covered in sand! Ah well. I'm getting really interested in the lure fishing, went down to a local mark with my rod just to try out a few plugs, didn't catch anything on that occasion as the place was weeded out but I saw 2 bass jump out the surf, which surprised me and gave me confidence.
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass

For this message the author Teegerstk has received thanks:
shortcircuit (Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:33 pm)
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Caution:they may have been mullet! In which case they will ignore almost anything you might throw at them!
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:37 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Caution:they may have been mullet! In which case they will ignore almost anything you might throw at them!

Quite possibly, but this was on a beach in a muddy estuary! I've never seen or heard of mullet in this location. Before you think I'm a gobshite for lure fishing in an estuary, the beach I was at has a lot of rocks around it and has quite good clarity! Would sea trout be a possibility?
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Oh absolutely they are more likely now I think of it.they would nearly jump into your waders they are very playful
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:45 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Oh absolutely they are more likely now I think of it.they would nearly jump into your waders they are very playful

That's a nice thought to have then, some decent fish at a venue that is 10 minutes away! Also talked to someone who was beach fishing there, he said he had caught bass and flounder from there so that's definitely worth a shot too!
I'm almost forgetting the bad session I had last night! Almost.
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Oh absolutely they are more likely now I think of it.they would nearly jump into your waders they are very playful

That's a nice thought to have then, some decent fish at a venue that is 10 minutes away! Also talked to someone who was beach fishing there, he said he had caught bass and flounder from there so that's definitely worth a shot too!
I'm almost forgetting the bad session I had last night! Almost.
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby samo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Jesus that sounds like a bad day. have had a few of them myself recently. fished Bannow around two months ago and only caught two cod.
Wish list for 2015: sword tail, black Molly, horny cobbler
samo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:55 pm

samo wrote:Jesus that sounds like a bad day. have had a few of them myself recently. fished Bannow around two months ago and only caught two cod.

Jesus I was fecking fuming, fishing around bannow seems to be quite a challenge
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby cornieboy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:54 am

Sorry to hear about your bad adventure.
I am having a few like it my self at the moment but not quite as bad as that.
Cant wait to go again but not going until this wind has dropped and then i will more than likely find weed.
cornieboy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports