Achill , mullranny , Little killary

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Achill , mullranny , Little killary

Postby joe the junior » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:49 am

people: a mate and myself
Date:1st+2nd June
bait: mack, sandeel, jellys, wraps

June 1st= decided to head towards the rocks near keem bay for a gawlk, tide was rising and 2 small pollack 2lb < were caught on jellys and mackerel on feathers not great for the area as larger pollack would normally mill them on the retrive over the kelp.
headed towards a rock mark near mullranny village for rays, 2 showed and two dogs followed in quick session.a lone flounder appeared but then went dead so we targeted mini species of the rock face which turned out alright with many species , blennys, sticklebacks,rockling,small strap conger, butterfish,corkwing wrasse+even a small sea trout. still 10 species, cant complain for a couple of hours! with a total of 12 for the day? Class!
june 2nd= went towards little killary for a look because of the scorcher of the day that was in it. not a single tap. even on small baits close in, i didnt know what to make of the situation only that possibly slack tides? even the crabs weren't active?! disappointing but still a beaut of a place to fish with the beach behind that looked like bora bora! heard of earlier reports about lil killary that it was quiet whats up!?
Joe Chambers
2017 (35 species)

2018 species: whiting, coalie, flounder, turbot, plaice, dab, sea trout, thornback ray, dogfish, sandeel, Launce, Mackerel, Pollack , Bullhuss, corkwing wrasse, ballen wrasse, rock cook wrasse,Cuckoo wrasse, grey gunard,tub gunard,Red Gunard, weever fish, 3 bearded rockling, Five bearded rockling, ling, common blenny , rock goby, conger, Pouting,silver eel, scorpion fish, scad, poor cod, mayo bass (35 species)

2019 Flounder, Dab, Turbot, Plaice, Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Whiting, Codling, 3 bearded rockling, Sea Trout, Dogfish, Bullhuss, black goby, rock goby, corkwing wrasse,Ballen Wrasse, cuckcoo Wrasse, Conger Eel, Shore Rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Lesser weever, common blenny, tompot blenny, bass, twaite shad, smoothhound, Dragonet, Silver Eel, Tub Gunard, Red Gunard, Gray Gunard,scad, thornback ray, poor cod

For this message the author joe the junior has received thanks: 2
Sweetwrasse (Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:43 am), the weasel (Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:39 pm)
joe the junior
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 90 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Achill , mullranny , Little killary

Postby seank » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:16 am

Thats Class on the species front well done. Little Killary produced one dog when we were out there a few weeks ago. I thought it might have been to earlier but it should be producing fish now. Is there some greedy p$ick trawling it at night I wonder?
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby seank » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:18 am

Thats Class on the species front well done. Little Killary produced one dog when we were out there a few weeks ago.

I thought it might have been to earlier but it should be producing fish now. Is there some greedy p$ick trawling it at night I wonder?
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby corbyeire » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:30 pm

killary seems to be a shadow of its former self, only bad reports out of it over the last few years - regardless of time of year
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Killary » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:05 pm

I had a few decent days on little killary a few weeks back. Plenty of fish, including a few small ray. It seems to me to be a bit like a nursery. No decent sized fish but always a few small ones.... What wrong with big Killary. All it ever seems good for is catching a few mackerel... Has anyone ever caught anything decent in it?....
Killary
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby ste c » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 pm

I find the ray in killary to be all small biggest 6lb maybe odd 1 or 2 slightly over it
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby kieran » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:12 am

Killary wrote:What wrong with big Killary. All it ever seems good for is catching a few mackerel... Has anyone ever caught anything decent in it?....

The problem with big Killary is that its a mud bottom and covered in tube worms.
Its also arranged in shelfs with big drops and sharp rocks on the edges so the only way to fish it is from a boat.

I have fished it from a boat and took in an 8 lb thornie and missed a similar GSD who spat the bait at me at the boat (as they will do). My partners back then swore they had been bitten off on whole mackerel baits up near the mouth at undersea summits and reckoned it had to be tope. Sounds plausible, very experienced anglers.

On both occasions with the thornie and GSD I was weight lifting because the leads embedded in the mud and brought up entire colonies of tube worms. Thought I was bringing up a skate, in all seriousness, I was convinced of it... sweat pumping out of me, twenty minutes into and not budging but shaking showing it was a fish...

Plenty of fish there but damned if you could try to catch them from the shore... maybe close in or in certain places where the sea bed and fjord sides are amenable...

K

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
Killary (Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:43 am)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports