Achill Island Sat 28th of May

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Achill Island Sat 28th of May

Postby seank » Mon May 30, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi lads.

Just going to write a summary of the days fishing on saturday. Danny and I fished Achill (Dugort, Purteen and Cloughmore) on Saturday afternoon. The fishing was very slow. We only had Frozen Mackeral for bait.
)
We started on Dugort and fished the last few hours of the ebb using flapper rigs and various hook sizes(2s,4s). But not even a bite was registered here.

From here we drove over to purteen harbour. And fished the rocks.Just as we arrived There was a bunch of english lads landing back from a day out on a boat Jigging for Pollack and Cod. They had two boxs of Cod, Ling and Pollack. One of the Cod was pushing the 15lb mark at least cracking fish.

At the rocks in purteen we had 12 Dogs between us and nothing else. Using various rigs and bait sizes.Does anyone know can theses rocks through up a few flatties ray etc when casting onto the sand about 50-60 yards out?..

To finish the evening off, we hit cloughmore harbour. I thought it may be a good idea given the weak tides. The currant is sight to behold at this spot on big tides. A scary one at that.

We dropped two wire traces with 6/0 circles and large sections of mackeral down by the piles to see was there a conger knocking about and set up two rods fishing out into the channel.

The places looks like it should be amazing for conger and also every other species. We didnt have any bites here and the crabs were stipping our baits rapidly.
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Re: Achill Island Sat 28th of May

Postby kieran » Tue May 31, 2016 9:22 am

Hi Sean

Dunno about the rest but I can tell you that the channel between Purteen and the island is not what its cracked up to be, including in reports from the like of Mike Thrussel, as I have fished it lots of times and you did well to get even doggies! Blank city.

There's a better mark due west which is best accesses from Dooagh. It throws up some flats fishing onto the beach from the rocks on the eastern side. Further out you get good rough ground fishing... bit of a trek but you have to do that these days to find any decent marks...

I'm looking at an evening into night session this weekend to coincide with the weather and HW at 11 pm on the Sunday 5th June? Big tides. 4.5+ metres....
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby seank » Tue May 31, 2016 11:08 am

I spotted that mark alright Kieran alright from purteen looks ideal. Im looking at trying that shipwreck gulley soon to, from few locals I met they said its good for conger and pollack. On flat calm day.

Just got the life jacket serviced, so if got perfectly calm weather id love to give it a shot!

Im fishing a competion sunday kieran during the day but I maybe swayed into heading out again. Id be well rested by then ;)

where are u thinking?
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby kieran » Tue May 31, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi Sean

I'll give you a call - where's the competition?

FYI... shipwreck gully is a bugger because the rocks slope down towards the sea and are heavily eroded. To get into a position to cast towards the wreck you have to turn your back on the sea. There is not such thing as a calm day there. It is also a tackle graveyard. Been there once - on an calm day - and never felt the need to return.

K
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby corbyeire » Tue May 31, 2016 1:28 pm

hi Sean did ye fish the beach in front of Mastersons?

kieran
competition - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48468
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby seank » Tue May 31, 2016 2:08 pm

On dugort strand. 11-3pm I believe. Sound we will pick a better location, than that spot. I'm mad to try for a pollack off the rocks... If your up for it soon?
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby seank » Tue May 31, 2016 2:09 pm

No actually, is that where the comp is going to be fished?

I fished the beach over at the strand hotel.

corbyeire wrote:hi Sean did ye fish the beach in front of Mastersons?

kieran
competition - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48468
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby corbyeire » Tue May 31, 2016 3:51 pm

yea, in front of mastersons is the comp venue, the strand hotel beach looks the part, but have only ever heard of blanks off it - and from experience unfortunately....

see you sunday
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby kieran » Tue May 31, 2016 4:14 pm

On Dugort and Mastersons... I am told *coughs* that there's a gully on that beach that fishes on a rising tide, it runs in a rough L up the western side of the beach, beyond that it appears to be rosary bead territory... although I am also told of a certain sand bank that apparently traps fish behind it at low water. Never found it...

Tight lines peeps... might leave the outing to the Monday if the weather holds...

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
seank (Tue May 31, 2016 6:55 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby seank » Tue May 31, 2016 7:57 pm

corbyeire wrote:yea, in front of mastersons is the comp venue, the strand hotel beach looks the part, but have only ever heard of blanks off it - and from experience unfortunately....

see you sunday

Have you fished the mastersons beach before man? It seems to be mixed ground from looking at it.. What species can we expect?
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby corbyeire » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:42 am

ive fished it a few times, it all really depends on where its pegged, that will be down to the simmers on sunday, scratchin or dogs

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
seank (Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:11 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby WILL » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:34 am

fished both the beaches you mention the beach in front of the strand hotel; we had dogs rays flounder and the odd sea trout; the rays were at range about 120yds ; the beach in front of marstestons again we had good fishing sea trout to around the 3lb markthis was when we were losing the light ;huss; plenty of dogs ;flounder and the odd turbot ,you mention a gulley running west on these beaches there is definetely a feature of some description as this was were the huss were running ;again this was about 120yds ;also the colour of the huss were black;hope this info will help somebody catch some decent fish in a truly beautifull part of your country hope to return oneday tight lines
paul

For this message the author WILL has received thanks:
seank (Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:45 pm)
WILL
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby seank » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:50 pm

WILL wrote:fished both the beaches you mention the beach in front of the strand hotel; we had dogs rays flounder and the odd sea trout; the rays were at range about 120yds ; the beach in front of marstestons again we had good fishing sea trout to around the 3lb markthis was when we were losing the light ;huss; plenty of dogs ;flounder and the odd turbot ,you mention a gulley running west on these beaches there is definetely a feature of some description as this was were the huss were running ;again this was about 120yds ;also the colour of the huss were black;hope this info will help somebody catch some decent fish in a truly beautifull part of your country hope to return oneday tight lines
paul

Thanks Paul. Any size to the turbot and bull huss you caught?

Its a stunning location achill Island alright,
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby WILL » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:54 pm

Not really huss were about 3lbs plus turbot were pretty small, just thinking another beach was keem we had plenty of good sized flounder and trigger fish at distance these were a complete surprise just goes to show anything can turn up
WILL
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 5 times

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports