Corraun clew bay. Spanish armada memorial

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Corraun clew bay. Spanish armada memorial

Postby seank » Mon May 16, 2016 11:13 pm

Tide: Last two hours of coming tide approx
.(1.40-3.40)

Bait: Frozen Peeler Crab

Rigs: Cigar Float rig with 2/0 hook fished, Running ledger.

After a great evening on lacken strand yesterday, where I had PB flounder(happy out)fishing in comp woke up this morning to realise I defrosted by accident along with the other bait for the comp. Not wanting to dispose of good bait didnt want to throw it out so decided to head down to corraun and try for wrasse.

First off I trekked as far over the flat slopping rock as I could and fished half a peeler each rebait under a float on a 2/0 hook. Set the depth at the length of my rod,15ft. I worked it various distances into several deep gullies which ive had wrasse in the past. No joy. Not one bite on the float.

After a failed attempt fishing with float I moved back to the first ledge below memorial and fished off a narrow finger of rock. Looked promising. I set up a running ledger using a 2oz ball lead and 3ft length of 20lb flurocarbon and 2/0 Kamasan baitholder. Fishing a various distance right up to my feet where I also added the crushed claws and peeler crabs to try and attract anything that might be lurking.

Result: Complete blank.

I was fairly confident that some species would have gone for the peeler, especially ballan wrasse.

Maybe it's to early for wrasse yet?
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Re: Corraun clew bay. Spanish armada memorial

Postby kieran » Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 am

Hi Sean

Looks like its a bit early. Sea temperature is still quite low. Well done on the flounder, especially on lacken. Any ST around in the comp?
Bad luck on the wrasse - there's a great hole for wrasse further along, where you have to walk very carefully out and around a semi-circular cove that fills with the tide, but its a fair bit along from the memorial due west. That finger is normally a good spot, you can get rays there too at distance on the sand...

K
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby seank » Tue May 17, 2016 11:52 am

There was a number of sea trout caught Kieran an angler on a peg close to me had 38cm trout.

Yeah th he sand looks within reach of a decent cast off that spot. Must try that another day.

I think the water temp is prob to low for wrasse? I know the bullhuss have started showing up now but sure about the channels around the island's..
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby corbyeire » Tue May 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Sean you had right to bring other baits with you there to try for the rays dogs and huss
even in early autumn with good numbers of fish around crab doesn't do well compared to the fish baits in Galway/Mayo
well done on your pb flounder

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
seank (Tue May 17, 2016 12:48 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby seank » Tue May 17, 2016 12:55 pm

It was just a quick session man, thought the crab might lure a wrasse I've had them on it before. But I did limit myself bringing just it your right.

Going to try for the rays the next time I recken there within my casting ability? The sand looks about 80-100yards out.?
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby corbyeire » Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm

if youre on that sloping rock - you have to cast further - I personally find the platforms at either end are better, but maybe that is just suiting my cast (or lack thereof)
100 yards should be fine, you know yourself its the ledge that gets you with a fish on
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby seank » Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Yeah looking on google maps, the sand is much closer on the first ledge there. I assume its a nightmare to bring in fishing on the slopping rock to? Going to try it out again next weekend armed with better bait. But i'm hitting a mark in the inner bay Tomorrow to see have the Thornies showed up yet..

For this message the author seank has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 am)
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports