Clones strand

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:31 pm

So I made the decision last night to head to Clones, got there for 2010pm, 2 rods Delta with wire pulley rig for Chance of Tope and Rampage with 4/0 pulley rig. I had crab, mack, sandeel and lug, it started off fast with Dogfish and continued, couldnt get past them and ended with 13 or so, I got small flounder in between and then on final retreive a Monkfish, first ever catch of this species, left Clones for home at 0300am, so wasnt a wasted trip after Driving 3 Hours.
Last edited by jonnymed1c on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Clones strand

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:11 pm

got a picture of the monkfish - never heard of them being caught from the shore...

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Yeah how big was the monk lad?

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Angler fish maybe?

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Keeps saying file too large when trying to upload? It was around 30cm, im talking about Monkfish or anglerfish not angel shark, still are new rare catch for me.

If anyone can help with pic upload Il get it up

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Was it one of these?
If so ,well done not many anglers have ever caught one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglerfish

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:35 pm

jonnymed1c wrote:Keeps saying file too large when trying to upload? It was around 30cm, im talking about Monkfish or anglerfish not angel shark, still are new rare catch for me.

If anyone can help with pic upload Il get it up

Are you working from a computer with Microsoft picture manager?

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:13 am

Email it to me and I will upload for you - ardinn2001@yahoo.com

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 am

I was trying it from my phone, I have emailed it to ardinn so to upload, I used to be able to upload ok from phone.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 am

sounds cool regardless of which species it is... sounds like an anglerfish. The monkfish and angel shark are the same species. Monkfish tails as sold in restaurants are not monkfish any more (rare as hens teeth, fished to near extinction) but are in fact the tails from anglerfish. Looking forward to the photo... very cool capture. Well done.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Sorry never arrived to my inbox

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Is that your pic posted on the Facebook page?

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Yes thats it on Facebook page.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:46 pm

nvr mnd
Last edited by ardinn on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Got em

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:17 pm

sweet!

(is that sand all over the back of him..?)

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 pm

jonnymed1c wrote:So I made the decision last night to head to Clones, got there for 2010pm, 2 rods Delta with wire pulley rig for Chance of Tope and Rampage with 4/0 pulley rig. I had crab, mack, sandeel and lug, it started off fast with Dogfish and continued, couldnt get past them and ended with 13 or so, I got small flounder in between and then on final retreive a Monkfish, first ever catch of this species, left Clones for home at 0300am, so wasnt a wasted trip after Driving 3 Hours.

Nice one, well done on the effort and travel.......long night for you but at least somnething to show for it :D

Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:17 am

Cheers for getting them up ardinn, yes abit sandy, I keep a bucket of sea water beside me and I let most fish recover while I chuck out new bait although he didnt go in for a rinse as it was pic then straight back to swim away as it was my last retrieve and was looking forward to heading home.

Hopefully next weekend I get few fish when I head to Clare and then try another trip down east coast last weekend in May, and continue few trips right through Summer, Not permitted to fish when on holiday in Caravan, but Mrs lets me fish any other time so I agree with that.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Nice one !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:38 pm

well done