Out past little killary

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Out past little killary

Postby Killary » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Sunday seemed fine so I decided to have a go out past little killary. It was one of those days when I drove and then wandered over a few fences until I found a spot. HT was at about 4pm, a smallish one and the weather good. So I set out with a nice selection of bait from the freezer. Squid, mackerel and sandeels... I've been tying up a few new rigs to see if I could tempt a flounder or two. So I was keen to find a nice beach. I've fished Lettergesh a few times so decided to go somewhere new. Having settled on a nice spot, that looked very fishy, I set up and fished 2 rods with two hook rigs with longer traces to the hooks. Hook size was down to 2 and a 4, fishing nice small baits on both droppers. Its amazing how when a place seems perfect, with no other anglers in sight and conditions couldn't get any better, that the fish just vanish.... I sat it out for more than a few hours with not a flipping bite.... no doggies, nothing...... Couldn't believe it... not even a nibble from a crab... Have the Oceans been totally emptied of fish I ask myself?.... So today, I headed back out but decided to fish little killary itself. Its never let me down, with a load of dogfish, pin whiting and a solitary mackerel....it did just enough.... But I do wonder. There seems to be an increasing absence of quality fishing around our coast. Fish stocks being slowly reduced to nothing. Its sad.... maybe in a few years we'll be fishing for a single dogfish.... Commercial fishing is not our friend, and any introduction of chemicals into the water can only do harm..... Its a fact, the so called expects really don't have a clue. I find it hard to trust these fishery boys after seeing species after species suffering the same fate. Still, maybe next weekend...... isn't that what we do.....

For this message the author Killary has received thanks: 4
chuckaroo (Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:35 am), corbyeire (Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:39 pm), krisreid (Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:12 am), the weasel (Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:52 pm)
Killary
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Out past little killary

Postby kieran » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Killary

As odd as it may seem, I have also learned the hard way that there are vast differences between beaches only a few kilometres apart which would seem near identical.
I didn't bother fishing on Paddy's day as I have had blanks in small tide easterly wind and bright daylight conditions before... even on marks that normally throw up plenty of fish, including little killary. For the record, I didn't go to the pub either but stayed home and did the garden... :roll:

I've tried a number of the beaches west of Lettergesh and they can be very hit and miss. My main issue is that they are so shallow, the fish tend to prefer darkness. Seank and others will attest to the complete change you can see on some of these beaches once the sun goes down. It is literally like someone pushed a "fish" switch.

You have a PM.
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Killary » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:09 pm

yep, thanks for that kieran, I'll give you a shout in the next day or so..
Killary
SAI Lug Worm

Postby corbyeire » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:42 pm

I find at this time of year blanks are a plenty even in spots you consider solid. I really hate this time of year out west, the fishing so poor until really june
for the record I fished a beach sunday night with slack tides on the drop and an easterly but it was darkness, 4 flounders and 3 coalies, nothing to get excited about but the darkness really helps
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby kieran » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:24 am

Yeah, darkness is a must this time of year, although I've done ok in deeper water marks between now and May in the past. But it can be very slow...

For anyone that is interested, I have two new marks picked out for exploring.

One is out near Killary (1 klick walk over boggy farmland and a few walls) and the other is a very a longer walk over similar with a long trek across a beach
If you're interested in having a cut at either over the Easter, give me a PM.

Cheers
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Killary » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Yep... I'm grounded for a few days over easter but after that I'll be back out....
Killary
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports